Morris - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Morris

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Morris

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:16 pm

I have been considering taking Morris in a contract league, but his $3.0, 1-yr price tag is a bit steep in this $105 league. I checked his ST stats, and they're not bad. I just wish he had pitched more than 2 innings.

0.00 ERA, 2.0 IP 2 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K

What do you guys think of Matt so far (if anything), and what about the price in this league? I keep thinking it's too much, but I could be convinced otherwise.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:34 pm

I'm used to $260 caps, so doing a little math, $3 in a $105 is about 2.8% of your cap, which translates into $7-$8 in a $260, which I think is probably as high as I'd go on him right now. He could be really good or it could be '04 all over again. I would tend to lean towards the former, just because of his track record, but it's a gamble nonetheless. It depends on what else you've got, but I think he could be expendable at that price. :-? Hope that helps. :-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby so0perspam » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:35 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:I'm used to $260 caps, so doing a little math, $3 in a $105 is about 2.8% of your cap, which translates into $7-$8 in a $260, which I think is probably as high as I'd go on him right now. He could be really good or it could be '04 all over again. I would tend to lean towards the former, just because of his track record, but it's a gamble nonetheless. It depends on what else you've got, but I think he could be expendable at that price. :-? Hope that helps. :-D

Very good advice, I agree.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:14 pm

I waited to see how Morris would do yesterday. He was pretty good, so I put my bid on Matt this morning.

Here's his ST line so far:

5.0 IP, 5H, 1 ER, 1.80 ERA, 1 BB, 7 K... and most importantly 0 HR!!!

I don't want to get my hopes up too early, but those numbers - particularly the K/IP & K/BB ratios - are very nice.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:10 pm

in his first start he was throwing 85-88mph. thats not bad considering where he is at in his recovery. i havent heard any reports on his speed for his last two outings though. hopefully he can get back over 90. supposedly his curve ball is actually curving which is a great sign. he wasnt able to consistently throw his trademark 12-6 curve last year. all the news so far has been encouraging although i am trying to temper my enthusiasm. i think he is a good gamble in the later rounds but i am not familiar with contract leagues so i cant really comment about the price.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:11 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:supposedly his curve ball is actually curving which is a great sign.

I would probably classify that as a "good" sign. :-D

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i am trying to temper my enthusiasm.

I think that's about where I am as well. He won't cost much unless he hits all his incentives though, so that's a big plus, at least in real life. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:21 pm

Some Morris news from the BirdHouse
(03/28) Matt Morris Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan revealed on Sunday that Matt Morris will start Opening Day ... for the Palm Beach Cardinals, that is. According to the Cardinals official website they plan to have Morris start the season on the disabled list, making what will be considered rehabilitation starts in the minors for the first two weeks of April.
Morris will pitch April 7 and 13 for the high Class A club before making his regular-season Major League debut on April 19 against the Pirates. He will pitch in South Florida rather than at Double-A Springfield or at Memphis because the weather is more likely to be forgiving at Roger Dean Stadium.

We had projected earlier that Morris would most likely make his first major league appearance on April the 20th, so you can expect him to start a day earlier.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby JTWood » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:59 pm

Right on queue:

M Morris 4 IP, 7 H, 5 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 1 HR

At least the ratios are still good... :-/

On a different note, this is the second time I've listened to the Cards/Mets this pre-season. Am I the only one that thinks the Mets are playing pretty well right now (despite the fact that they gave up 10 runs today)? Again, I know ST doesn't count, but I have to believe that they will be giving Atlanta a hefty run for their money this year.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:16 pm

well it looked like everyone got hit pretty hard in that game.

as for the mets, a lot depends on their pitching. does old man glavine have anything left in the tank? is kris benson a stud or dud? can the pitching coach work some magic on zambrano and ishii? their bullpen isnt too great either from what i hear.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:23 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:well it looked like everyone got hit pretty hard in that game.

as for the mets, a lot depends on their pitching. does old man glavine have anything left in the tank? is kris benson a stud or dud? can the pitching coach work some magic on zambrano and ishii? their bullpen isnt too great either from what i hear.

I'll definitely give you that one. In the two games that I listened to, we did most of our scoring off of their pen. Maybe they're just playing well this spring. We'll see. Either way, the Mets seem a ton better/more confident than they ever were at any point last year.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to St. Louis Cardinals