Should I veto either of these trades - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should I veto either of these trades

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I veto either of these trades

Postby chennemann » Tue May 06, 2003 1:40 pm

I am the commissionare and have to decide if these trades should go through. Standard 5x5 yahoo head to head league

Trade #1
Hank Blalock 3b
Torii Hunter CF
Jeff Suppan

for

Randy Johnson SP
Eric Chavez 3b
Carlos Lee

Trade #2

Durazo, Erubiel (1B, DH-Oak)
Chacon, Shawn (SP-Col)
Nathan, Joe (RP-SF)

for

Pujols, Albert (LF, 3B, 1B-StL)
Jimenez, Jose (RP-Col)
Koch, Billy (RP-CWS)

Personally I don't think either is fair, but I would love to get others opinions. I hate to veto trades.
chennemann

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Clevelander » Tue May 06, 2003 2:01 pm

it would depend on the needs of the owners....

trade 1 would be so-so depending on the needs but not bad.....

trade 2 is a little more where the teeter totter lies toward the person getting pujols and the closer bunch.
Harry Doyle: Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant.
Clevelander
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guest » Tue May 06, 2003 2:05 pm

Ah the dreaded Veto power of a commish.

I'm a commissioner too of a Private Yahoo Roto League and I don't like vetoing trades either but I'll give you my opinion on the two trades you've posted.

Trade 1

Hank Blalock, Torii Hunter, Juff Suppan for Randy Johnson, Eric Chavez, Carlos Lee

Personally I'd love to be the team getting Johnson, Chavez and Lee, and I'm assuming this deal was proposed because Johnson is on the DL. But he's coming back in June, and should be back to full strength. So to compare the players, I'd say Randy is better than Suppan, who pitches for the Pirates, Chavez is better than Blalock since Blalock doesn't hit left handers, and Carlos Lee is even with Hunter since Hunter isn't stealing bases.

Veto the trade.

Trade 2

Erubiel Durazo, Shawn Chacon, Joe Nathan for Albert Pujols, Jose Jimenez, Billy Koch

Simply put, Pujols is worlds better than Durazo AND has 3 position eligibility. Chacon is riding high right now, but history says he'll come back down to earth soon, and I'd rather have Koch than Joe Nathan. What good is a middle reliever in a head to head league?

I'd say Veto

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby cincyreds » Tue May 06, 2003 2:09 pm

I am the commish in my league also, so let's see.

I have no problem the 1st trade, eveything looks good there. Why anybody would give up Johnson is beyond me unless he stays hurt all year.

The 2nd trade I agree with chennemann. It is not a good trade.

I mean Pujols and Koch for Chacon a so-so starter, Durazo who is inconsistent and Nathan, a player who isn't even in the majors yet. Although Nathan has been impressive in the minors so far this young season.

I say, yes to the first trade because Chavez is superstar and so is Johnson.

#2 just isn't a fair deal to me. I would email the owners and ask them and see what they think. Vetos of trades can cause owners to quit and then you have a dead team to deal with.

If the other owners in your league are okay with it than let it go, otherwise I wouldn't let it go.

Just MHO.
The BIG RED Machine will rise again.
cincyreds
Member #1000
Member #1000

Postby BetterThanRealThing » Tue May 06, 2003 2:34 pm

Do NOT veto unless you suspect collusion or the trade is so rediculous that it effects the integrity of the league. Neither of these trades applies. Let them pass. What if RJ never fully recovers from his injury? Perhaps Pujols' injury hurts his production. I don't think these trades are lopsided enough to veto.
BetterThanRealThing
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 06, 2003 3:04 pm

I think everyone here agrees which team is getting the better end of the deals. When trading, there should be SOME risk and I just don't see that here.

Trade #1

Blalock and Suppan were likely free agent pickups. Getting RJ and Chavez in return for these two is ridiculous.

Trade #2

Chacon and Nathan were likely free agent pickups. Getting Jimenez and Kock is bad enough. Throw in Durazo and Pujols part of the deal makes it ridiculous.

I would veto both of them.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby bigbadfridge » Tue May 06, 2003 3:32 pm

Veto both of em...i had a trade of benson and salmon for millwood and ichiro vetoed a while back wen benson and salmon were both on fire....these are worse than that
bigbadfridge
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Madison » Tue May 06, 2003 4:24 pm

Both of them are extremely lopsided. I hate vetoes, but these are pretty obvious. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby NY1b23 » Tue May 06, 2003 4:48 pm

Leave the trades alone. What if the guy doesn't want the risk that RJ could have this problem go on all year and just wants to move him now? He's entitlted to make that bet. You'll be the bonehead if you don't let him make this move, and then RJ's injury makes him ineffective all year. It's not your place to substitute your foresight for that of another owner.
NY1b23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Transmogrifier » Tue May 06, 2003 5:32 pm

I agree with NYb123. Don't veto unless there is collusion.

I hate vetoes.
I'm back. Sorta.

Do not boo Johnny.
Transmogrifier
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers