Bill Pulsipher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Bill Pulsipher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bill Pulsipher

Postby JTWood » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:07 am

What do you guys think of Mr. Pulsipher so far?

I think he kinda looks like Sutter...

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Players have come back from retirement before, but not many have come back after three years away from the game to win a spot on a team that just went to the World Series.

However, 32-year-old Bill Pulsipher may be on the verge of accomplishing such a comeback with the Cardinals.

Though Pulsipher last pitched in a Major League game on Oct. 7, 2001, the veteran left-hander has pitched his way into contention for a spot in the Cardinals' bullpen. On Monday, he pitched a hitless seventh inning against the Braves. In seven innings this spring, Pulsipher has yet to give up a run and has allowed just five hits and one walk.

With camp winding down, Pulsipher has arguably pitched well enough to earn a job in the bullpen.

"I don't know if it's nailed down, but I know I've been throwing the ball good, and I'm getting positive feedback from the coaching staff," Pulsipher said. "I've done as well as I can, and hopefully they'll keep me around."

Pulsipher got two outs on two pitches Monday before walking Ryan Langerhans on a 3-2 pitch that just missed.

"I was kind of upset with myself for walking a guy with two outs," Pulsipher said. "I was hoping to go all spring without walking anybody."

The former second-round pick of the Mets in the 1991 draft, who had retired because of injuries, says his health is no longer an issue. He is healthy and has worked very hard this spring, and has also lost weight since camp began.

Pulsipher is not the only veteran lefty who has looked impressive this spring. Mike Myers has held opposing hitters to a .160 batting average. Myers pitched a perfect inning against the Braves with two strikeouts.

"They've had their moments in both directions so far," manager Tony La Russa said.

Another lefty, Randy Flores, has also pitched well enough to merit serious consideration.

"Randy's done a good job," La Russa said.

In six innings, Flores has allowed six hits, no walks and struck out four. The 29-year-old signed as a minor league free agent in November 2003 and was 5-7 with a 3.82 ERA at Triple-A Memphis and 1-0 with a 1.93 in nine games for St. Louis last season.

La Russa could decide to keep more than one lefty to complement workhorse Ray King in the bullpen. Last year King and Steve Kline, now with Baltimore, made a combined 153 appearances.

For now this spring, the southpaw sprint looks like a cavalry charge, with too many horses bunched together. It should make for a very tough call.

"You want tough decisions, you don't want easy ones," pitching coach Dave Duncan said. "I hope they make it as tough as possible."
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:21 am

Maybe replace Ankiel as the other lefty in the pen? :-? I don't know how much stock I put in the ST numbers, but you can never have too many lefty's. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:55 am

He broke his toe yesterday on a line drive comeback. Sounds like he might not start the season with the big club. He is going to try and throw this weekend against the AA club. With the injury on his push off foot instead of his landing foot he might be OK but we will have to wait and see.
story
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby JTWood » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:26 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:He broke his toe yesterday on a line drive comeback. Sounds like he might not start the season with the big club. He is going to try and throw this weekend against the AA club. With the injury on his push off foot instead of his landing foot he might be OK but we will have to wait and see.
story

Aw, man... That's really sad. He's the "Bo Hart" feel-good story of the pre-season. I would hate to see his chances to play in the Bigs ruined so close to the start of the season.

I guess it could be worse, since it's not season-ending. Still, you hate to see bad things happen to (seemingly) good people.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:26 am

more problems for pulsipher:

Pulsipher injures his hamstring

Pulsipher will pitch on Sunday and will be testing more than the fractured toe on his push-off foot. On the first pitch he threw Friday night, Pulsipher felt pain in his right hamstring.

While the injury is not believed to be severe, the Cardinals want to see if he can field his position.

If Pulsipher pitches with no problem, he will be added to the roster.

If not, Kevin Jarvis will remain on the team until Pulsipher is ready. Jarvis threw a scoreless inning Saturday.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JTWood » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:28 am

j_d_mcnugent wrote:more problems for pulsipher:

Pulsipher injures his hamstring

Pulsipher will pitch on Sunday and will be testing more than the fractured toe on his push-off foot. On the first pitch he threw Friday night, Pulsipher felt pain in his right hamstring.

While the injury is not believed to be severe, the Cardinals want to see if he can field his position.

If Pulsipher pitches with no problem, he will be added to the roster.

If not, Kevin Jarvis will remain on the team until Pulsipher is ready. Jarvis threw a scoreless inning Saturday.

Poor guy... I'm pulling for him!
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:49 am

Well he made it, injuries and all.
link
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby StlSluggers » Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:30 pm

Good for him. I hope he has a great year simply from the human aspect of it.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals