Delgado or Dunn - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delgado or Dunn

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:35 am

so0perspam wrote:Bottom line, Soriano has gone from a premium early first round selection to a lower upper-tier player whom people reach for early just because he plays 2B.

Agree 100%

Why waste a first round pick on someone who is sub 290, 100 RBI and is a major question mark of getting 30 SB?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:37 am

Dunn has tremendous power for sure and he will easily hit 40 home runs barring injury. However, unless he makes some serious adjustments, he will never be more than an all or nothing hitter who will flirt with 200K every year.

His K/BB actually got worse in the last 3 years. BB% remained the same and he didn't make any more contact in 04 than the previous two full seasons. In fact, his contact rate progressively got worse: 68, 67, 66 (MLB average is 82). He used to have pretty speed but there is no evidence that he will start running again. His H% is right around 32 which is average. If he made more contact, then he could dramatically improve his BA but there is no evidence that he will in 05.

So now at age 26, coming off a monster year in terms of power, it is hard for me to imagine that he will automatically improve. I simply do not understand the love afair with a guy who Ks every 3 times he comes to the plate. Pitchers can get this guy out. He is simply not a good hitter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:43 am

Yoda, I assume you are talking about Dunn. Dunn raised his average almost 50 points last year which is major improvement. He also hits a HR in every 9 AB....
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:47 am

DElgado
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:54 am

Phatferd wrote:Yoda, I assume you are talking about Dunn. Dunn raised his average almost 50 points last year which is major improvement. He also hits a HR in every 9 AB....

.266 is still not that good for an MLB outfielder. He doesn't run, doesn't steal and he won't hit for a high average. What makes him so great?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby so0perspam » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:55 am

Yoda wrote:
Phatferd wrote:Yoda, I assume you are talking about Dunn. Dunn raised his average almost 50 points last year which is major improvement. He also hits a HR in every 9 AB....

.266 is still not that good for an MLB outfielder. He doesn't run, doesn't steal and he won't hit for a high average. What makes him so great?

Not many people can hit 50 HR's. ;-)
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby brandnew » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:59 am

so0perspam wrote:
Yoda wrote:

!+)

Not to mention HR's get you Runs and RBIs too... and a lot of people like to draft Thome even though he hits around .270..
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:02 am

brandnew wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
Yoda wrote:

!+)

Not to mention HR's get you Runs and RBIs too... and a lot of people like to draft Thome even though he hits around .270..

I guess so. But he still isn't a good hitter.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:08 am

Yoda wrote:
brandnew wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
Yoda wrote:

!+)

Dunn's the new McGwire :-B , 12 for 67 with 9 homers and 38 strikeouts....whats wrong with that :-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby so0perspam » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:10 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:
Yoda wrote:
brandnew wrote:
so0perspam wrote:
Yoda wrote:

!+)

Dunn's the new McGwire :-B , 12 for 67 with 9 homers and 38 strikeouts....whats wrong with that :-D

Exactly. :-]
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers