Drew, Patterson, Halladay or Vazquez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drew, Patterson, Halladay or Vazquez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:41 pm

Pedantic wrote:Paul DePodesta is not stupid. If Drew is good enough to take the reins over someone like Beltre in DePo's mind, then I have no problem believing that Drew will continue to post outstanding numbers over the next few years.

Patterson's combination of power and speed is nice, but his speed is really the only thing that sets him apart from Drew. Drew should easily best him in every other category, not to mention post double digit steals, which reduces Patterson's advantage significantly. Considering that Drew stole at an eighty percent clip, it's even possible (though unlikely) that he could push fifteen or twenty steals.

Also consider the following: when batting first or second, Patterson averaged 15.75 at-bats per stolen base. Batting seventh, he averaged 116 at-bats per stolen base (yes, with a grand total of one). Combine that knowledge with the likelihood that Patterson will be spending a lot of time at the bottom of the order, and, voilà, you have a very expensive Matt Lawton (who I've noticed doesn't get nearly the attention around these parts as does Patterson ;-)).

So, in summary, Drew's advantages in every other category far outweigh Patterson's (slight) advantage in steals. Incidentally, Drew is also the more balanced player.
that's only if Drew actuall plays 130+ games which he will not. Patterson will outperform Drew in 2005 ;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:47 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
Pedantic wrote:Paul DePodesta is not stupid. If Drew is good enough to take the reins over someone like Beltre in DePo's mind, then I have no problem believing that Drew will continue to post outstanding numbers over the next few years.

Patterson's combination of power and speed is nice, but his speed is really the only thing that sets him apart from Drew. Drew should easily best him in every other category, not to mention post double digit steals, which reduces Patterson's advantage significantly. Considering that Drew stole at an eighty percent clip, it's even possible (though unlikely) that he could push fifteen or twenty steals.

Also consider the following: when batting first or second, Patterson averaged 15.75 at-bats per stolen base. Batting seventh, he averaged 116 at-bats per stolen base (yes, with a grand total of one). Combine that knowledge with the likelihood that Patterson will be spending a lot of time at the bottom of the order, and, voilà, you have a very expensive Matt Lawton (who I've noticed doesn't get nearly the attention around these parts as does Patterson ;-)).

So, in summary, Drew's advantages in every other category far outweigh Patterson's (slight) advantage in steals. Incidentally, Drew is also the more balanced player.
that's only if Drew actuall plays 130+ games which he will not. Patterson will outperform Drew in 2005 ;-D

Read the first paragraph for why Drew is and will be healthy. Image Drew's knee is healthy, and he has shown no signs of reverting to his former perennially-injured self.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby warrick95 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:50 pm

Pedantic wrote:

Read the first paragraph for why Drew is and will be healthy. Image Drew's knee is healthy, and he has shown no signs of reverting to his former perennially-injured self.

That's not very cynical, Mr. Cafe Cynic. :-D Seriously, Drew's proven to be both lackadaisical and unwilling to play through small, nagging injuries. How does DePo know that that is going to cease now that he is in LA? DePo knows he's a good player when on the field. I know that, too. But where's the motivation now that he has a big contract?

DePo isn't dumb, but there's no need to trust everything he does without questioning.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:50 pm

Pedantic wrote:

yes, but he'll stub his toe or get a cold and miss like 40 games...jsut watch..coming off a contract year
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pedantic » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:56 pm

Pedantic wrote:

yes, but he'll stub his toe or get a cold and miss like 40 games...jsut watch..coming off a contract year

Forgive my candor, but that's a stupid way to look at it. Avoid a player because you think he'll miss forty games from an ailment for which you have no basis or foreknowledge? And the contract year is a farce.

In fact, I have Drew down as the seventh best hitter in the major leagues next year (no, not fantasy). Hold me to whatever you want, but I'm telling you, if you're expecting a plummet season, you'll be sorely disappointed.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers