Ishii to Mets, Jas Phillips to LA - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ishii to Mets, Jas Phillips to LA

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ishii to Mets, Jas Phillips to LA

Postby Pacman » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:26 pm

AP Story

VERO BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- The New York Mets plugged a hole in their starting rotation Sunday, acquiring left-hander Kazuhisa Ishii from the Los Angeles Dodgers for catcher Jason Phillips.

I hate Ishii, so I don't really care about a change in his fantasy value (if any) with a move to Shea.

But what's the consensus on Jason Phillips? If he starts regularly at catcher in LA, is he a viable option for fantasy owners who might find themselves late in the draft without a catcher?
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:45 pm

Whew, Phillips finally has some value again. :-°
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:49 pm

wow not sure i understand this trade at all. i think ishii is a rather nice pitcher for a team, not fantasy-wise. hes shown flashes of dominance, has struggled at times, but hes a fine #3 pitcher imo. on the other hand jason phillips has shown to be extremley mediocore on both sides of the plate. nice job mets.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby beltrans_boy » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:55 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:wow not sure i understand this trade at all. i think ishii is a rather nice pitcher for a team, not fantasy-wise. hes shown flashes of dominance, has struggled at times, but hes a fine #3 pitcher imo. on the other hand jason phillips has shown to be extremley mediocore on both sides of the plate. nice job mets.

Ishii is terrible, and so is Phillips. The Mets needed a pitcher and the Dodgers needed a catcher. That's why this trade went down. If anyone is using either Ishii or Phillips as a fantasy option, you have my sympathies.

;-D

EDIT: BTW, Ishii is not a fine #3 starter. He never has been. Sure, he's shown flashes of brilliance, but when your career WHIP is higher than Bartolo Colon's cholersterol, then we have a problem. Ishii couldn't even keep his starting job in the injury-ridden Los Angeles rotation last year in one of the best pitching parks in the majors. What makes you think that he's anything other than terrible?
Last edited by beltrans_boy on Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RyanK » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:56 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:wow not sure i understand this trade at all. i think ishii is a rather nice pitcher for a team, not fantasy-wise. hes shown flashes of dominance, has struggled at times, but hes a fine #3 pitcher imo. on the other hand jason phillips has shown to be extremley mediocore on both sides of the plate. nice job mets.

The mets needed to add another pitcher with the loss of Traschel, and Phillips is a pretty good prospect and the Dodgers were showing the most interest in him...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 4)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:32 pm

EDIT: BTW, Ishii is not a fine #3 starter. He never has been. Sure, he's shown flashes of brilliance, but when your career WHIP is higher than Bartolo Colon's cholersterol, then we have a problem. Ishii couldn't even keep his starting job in the injury-ridden Los Angeles rotation last year in one of the best pitching parks in the majors. What makes you think that he's anything other than terrible?

you can say what you want but the guy wins games. hes won 13 or more games 2 of the last three years. im not saying hes fantasy material, but hes a definate number three pitcher in the majors.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pedantic » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:46 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:

you can say what you want but the guy wins games. hes won 13 or more games 2 of the last three years. im not saying hes fantasy material, but hes a definate number three pitcher in the majors.

Let me guess: you're an Estes fan, too. ;-7

On another note, Phillips probably isn't as good as '03, but I don't think he's as bad as last year either. He'd be an excellent starting option for NL-only leagues.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Amazinz » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:49 pm

Wow I can't tell you how pumped I am. :-D

Anyway now that J.P. is out of NY we can let the cat out of the bag: J.P. is on roids:

If you don't know what he looked like before this year, trust me it's a big change. Kind of fitting he ended up on a Cali team. :-b

All jokes aside no way is J.P. as bad as he performed last year (Fart Howe bailed on him too quickly) he's also not as good as he's looked this ST and his rookie year. I think he's a nice option in LA if he gets the starting job. I'd take him over guys like Estrada, A.J. and Hernandez.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kev921 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:56 am

I too care little about Ishii (can't stand a SP that gives up that many walks). But was last year for Phillips the norm or can we expect better?
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby King Tim » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:35 am

What does this mean for Edwin Jackson? Is he the #5 guy until Penny returns?
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers