ST or not, Schmidt just got shelled - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ST or not, Schmidt just got shelled

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

ST or not, Schmidt just got shelled

Postby NZF » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:50 pm

10 ER's in just over 3 innings of work I believe. Given that he will have just 2 more starts before opening day, I would be a tad concerned if I owned him.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:52 pm

as long as he isnt injured theres absoulutley nothing to worry about. hiccups happen to players, especially in spring training.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby so0perspam » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:55 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:as long as he isnt injured theres absoulutley nothing to worry about. hiccups happen to players, especially in spring training.

I agree .... Schmidt is still my Cy Young prediction no matter what. Who gives a hoot about ST, we all know that's not the type of pitcher he is.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Cooner » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:36 pm

coming in handy...

|
|
V
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby warrick95 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:40 pm

It's just ST. There are only a few players I'm watching in ST to see how they perform. That and any big injuries.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:40 pm

Regardless of whether its spring training or not, you do feel good when you see your guy throw 5 scoreless innings, and feel bad when your ace gets mashed. You have to keep telling urself its only ST but hey, it plays with you.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:46 pm

the most important things in ST are who is healthy and who is winning position battles.

stats can sometimes be meaningful but you have to know the story behind the stats for them to have any meaning. did the pitcher struggle because he was working a new pitch? did the pitcher have great stats because he struckout a bunch of non-roster invitees?
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby NYYanks723 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:55 pm

Would you rather him him or Sheets?

I have a Clemens, Leiter, Sexson for Schmidt, Lilly deal...

but he's shaky on it and would be much more comfortable doing...

Clemens, Leiter, Sexson for Sheets, Marquis
NYYanks723
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:12 pm

yea he got shelled, but who knows what the reason was,,,he may have been working on throwing all changeups or working on a cut fastball.... if ever there was a time to work on a new pitch for the future, ST is definitely the time,,,, i still have no worries about schmidt for this year.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby speedy27 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:11 pm

raiders_umpire wrote:yea he got shelled, but who knows what the reason was,,,he may have been working on throwing all changeups or working on a cut fastball.... if ever there was a time to work on a new pitch for the future, ST is definitely the time,,,, i still have no worries about schmidt for this year.....

rotoworld....Jason Schmidt, who entered the day with a 0.90 ERA, was torched for 10 runs in 3 1/3 innings by the A's today.
Eric Chavez, Erubiel Durazo and Bobby Kielty homered off Schmidt, who was working on his offspeed pitches. ''I felt the same way I felt all spring,'' Schmidt said. ''I've got half a pitch right now and that's the fastball to the right side. I had to keep throwing the changeup. I'm trying to get a feel for it. It's just not there yet but it will come. I'm not getting any sharper and until it comes it will probably be more of the same.'' Little reason for worry here. Mar. 20 - 8:48 pm et

I agree....now could be the perfect time to try and make a trade for him as panicked owners appear worried about this meaningless outing!!
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers