Shortstops! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shortstops!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shortstops!

Postby justinA » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:33 pm

So all of the keepers are in, and I did not keep a SS. The top guys are Jeter, Renteria, Garciaparra, and Furcal. I feel I must get one of these guys to fill that void, because it drops off pretty hard after that (Lugo and Kaz). I have $186 to work with in a $300 league, and I have allocated about $130 of that to hitting. Who should I target? and for how much do you think I should pay? Also, any strategies you think I should use in throwing out names in this case? thanks alot.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby klvrdude » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:28 pm

I'm not much of an auction guy, so I can help you with dollar amounts...but I do think which caliber of SS you get depends on the rest of your team's needs.

All of the SS you mentioned are in my 2nd and 3rd tiers (Tejada in the 1st by himself). And though I think this will be a big bounce back year for Nomar there are other options than the guys you mentioned. I have Rollins, Chone, Reyes at the bottom of my third tier in that order.

good luck
klvrdude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:38 pm

Hard to say without knowing how many hitters that $130 has to cover. Jeter and Nomar's value is normally in the mid-20's and the others are just under 20. The number of spots left to fill alters it some.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby justinA » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:41 pm

klvrdude wrote:I'm not much of an auction guy, so I can help you with dollar amounts...but I do think which caliber of SS you get depends on the rest of your team's needs.

All of the SS you mentioned are in my 2nd and 3rd tiers (Tejada in the 1st by himself). And though I think this will be a big bounce back year for Nomar there are other options than the guys you mentioned. I have Rollins, Chone, Reyes at the bottom of my third tier in that order.

good luck

Ehh, there really aren't any formidable options that I would want as my starting SS. If you go by Cafe rankings, it goes from 7.6 (Furcal) to 14.1 (Matsui). All others have been kept. There really is nothing beyond them. I like Renteria out of them because I think he will come a bit cheaper, and I dont like Jeter fantasy wise. Landing Furcal would be nice though, because I need steals... bad.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby justinA » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:43 pm

Tavish wrote:Hard to say without knowing how many hitters that $130 has to cover. Jeter and Nomar's value is normally in the mid-20's and the others are just under 20. The number of spots left to fill alters it some.

Sorry, $130 to cover 8 hitters, 2 catchers, 3 OF, SS, and 2 Util. My hitting has ALWAYS been lacking throughout the years, so I am going to spend big on that, and try and find some cheap pitching.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:46 pm

Well, Jeter is going to go for too much no matter what so you can rule him out. Probably the same for Renteria. That leaves you with Nomar and Furcal. If you can get a nice price for either, I'd say bite. Nomar should be much better this year.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby justinA » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:07 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Well, Jeter is going to go for too much no matter what so you can rule him out. Probably the same for Renteria. That leaves you with Nomar and Furcal. If you can get a nice price for either, I'd say bite. Nomar should be much better this year.

What do you think a nice price would be? I really like Furcal this year, but I am having a tough time putting a number on him, same with Nomar.
The Oreos!
justinA
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers