Just finished draft....Please look and opine! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Just finished draft....Please look and opine!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just finished draft....Please look and opine!

Postby hooligan1 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:29 pm

Standard Yahoo 5x5 roto, 12 teams

C - Barrett
1B - Teixera
2B - Loretta
3B - Blalock
SS - Jeter
OF - Vlad
OF - Dunn
OF - Wells
Util - Durazo
DL - Berkman

SP- Mussina
SP - Maddux
SP - Buehrle
SP - Escobar
SP - Lawrence
SP - Tomko

RP - Takatsu
RP - Marte
RP - Otsuka
RP - Gordan
RP - Hawkins

Strengths : Beefy HR/RBI numbers likely, mostly good batting averages, potential for more speed (Dunn, Wells), good pitching depth, solid SP's with RP's who will put up great numbers minus Saves, no players who have been injury-prone during their careers, great mid-season pick-up sitting on my DL.

Weaknesses : catcher a tad sketchy, no position versatility from the DH, very little speed beyond Vlad and Jeter without other guys stepping up, only one bona fide closer, no strikeout starters with the possible exception of Escobar.

Comments welcome.......
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Postby sportsjerk » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:34 pm

Your team really isn't too bad. Jeter, Vlad, Dunn, and Wells should put you in the middle of the pack for steals, so you're ok there. Yes, you only have 1 true closer, but Otsuka and Gordon will lower your ERA and WHIP and get you cheap strikeouts. Your catcher isn't too bad, I would consider him a 3rd tier catcher, not so bad that you need to replace him. I would look to make some trades for a closer, but if none of them look good for you, don't toss away your other categories.
sportsjerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ramble2 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:40 pm

From some of your other posts and the squad you drafted, I can see you and I have slightly different strategies for fantasy. So my comments may not be quite as helpful, but let's see what I got...

Great power on this team. I like that. I would build up power numbers, and then consider trading some of that power away to address other needs as the season progresses. You don't need all that power the entire season. Winning HR by 100 or by 10 still nets you the same number of points.

You could use more speed, but, again, I'd wait and see. If Dunn and Wells make good on their pre-season pledges to steal more you should score enough points that you'll be okay.

I'm not a huge fan of your pitching, but I prefer to target guys with high K/9 ratios. Your top 4 SP are good enough, but Lawrence and Tomko are real question marks. Neither went drafted in my league, and I would probably drop them for depth on offense (is Dm. Young available?) I see that SP staff as finishing 4th or 5th in relevant categories in a standard 5x5.

You also really need saves. Keep an eye on the closer watch in the Baseball Leftovers forum. You'll need to be ready to jump when someone gets save opps.

Without knowing the other teams in your league, it looks like you've got a team that could be competitive. It'll take some good team management though, as you'll need to fill weaknesses. Just remember that you don't have to fill those weaknesses all at once.

Comments on my team?
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby gabenterprises » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:52 pm

Pitching. I'd want a better ace and closer. Trade some power and Muss or somebody to upgrade the pitching. That's an idea, anyway.
gabenterprises
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby seniorpaul » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:59 pm

You've got power to spare, so i would look for SB's somewhere. I don't think Dunn and Wells will even keep you competitive. Your SP, while unspectacular, are solid. I agree that you probably want to try to find a Strikeout pitcher.

If you get a chance...
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=104459
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team