Proof that Rotoworld is as clueless as the others... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Proof that Rotoworld is as clueless as the others...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:41 pm

Purple Haze wrote: they read other sources on the net, and report in that fashion...

that is the value of rotoworld---they read all the articles on the net and then copy the specific blurb relating to the player so you dont have to search through 50+ online newspapers to find the stuff on your own. you should read that blurb and draw your own conlcusion. in that sense, rotoworld is a great resource.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rotoworld » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:27 am

Was that a mistake? Absolutely...
Sometimes things like that happen and they get corrected.

Should you take things we write with a "gain of salt"? Well, I think we are as informed as anyone, but that doesn't always mean things will pan out.

We try to give the fantasy baseball community the most timely and comphrensive news out there. We posted over 30,000 baseball blurbs in 2004.

Hopefully we can be a daily stop for good amount of you and help you to your league titles.

Good Luck!
Rotoworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KolbSaves » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:29 am

Thanks for all the effort rotoworld. Most of us here appreciate it ;-D
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRock » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:34 am

KolbSaves wrote:Thanks for all the effort rotoworld. Most of us here appreciate it ;-D

Here here! ;-D
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:37 am

Assuming this is not a comedian wanting to see want happens, but why not....

There is a big difference in posting a daily report on a player as quoted by some local newspaper with some of the usual commentary and getting something wrong (that is understandable given the volume and reliance on third parties to a great extent)

...and your "EXPERT" in an advice article (not an injury blurb) being just completely and utterly WRONG on the facts and basing a "RECOMMENDATION" on those erroneous facts to a large extent.

Paraphrasing...Kevin Brown was recommended largely because he is not likely to punch a wall with his pitching hand this time and would likely use the other hand...you make a comment like that you shoud make sure you know which hand he broke for sure. The comment was not one of he was a good pitcher and will likely bounce back from some freakish injuries.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby agchris02 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:40 am

rotoworld is great, theyre on top of injuries and player updates pretty much faster than any other site there is

they quote dozens of sources

as to player evaluations, as with EVERY site, your opinions will vary from there's (i dont think the brown example is a particularly great one to single out for being bad...im not sure HOW he'll do this yr, but rotoworlds opinion could very well be right now), thats why you should read all you can and form your own opinions

I love rotoworld :)

as to blantaly idiot experts, see my post the other day from cbs (that was a roto league by the way)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KolbSaves » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:46 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Assuming this is not a comedian wanting to see want happens, but why not....

There is a big difference in posting a daily report on a player as quoted by some local newspaper with some of the usual commentary and getting something wrong (that is understandable given the volume and reliance on third parties to a great extent)

...and your "EXPERT" in an advice article (not an injury blurb) being just completely and utterly WRONG on the facts and basing a "RECOMMENDATION" on those erroneous facts to a large extent.

Paraphrasing...Kevin Brown was recommended largely because he is not likely to punch a wall with his pitching hand this time and would likely use the other hand...you make a comment like that you shoud make sure you know which hand he broke for sure. The comment was not one of he was a good pitcher and will likely bounce back from some freakish injuries.

It was an attempt at humor. The guy probably didn't remember and didn't check like he should have, but that recommendation wasn't serious (the part about the punching). Who bases who they're going to pick on whether or not they think that player is going to punch something? Is that a stat in the Prospectus? Punch ratio over replacement? Try not to be so uptight about a bad attempt at humor.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRock » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:47 am

Actually, the recommendation came based on his talent, history and back seeming to be better, the comment about his hand was made in jest (how I read it anyway).

Let's try your own test on you: Bonds is out for while due to knee surgery. Which knee? Pedro had a bum shoulder last year, which one? I don't know anyone who paid any attention to which of Barry's knees it was, and I'm guessing you assumed it was Pedro's pitching shoulder. I didn't even look it up, seems like a fair assumption to make. So if a guy loses his cool in the dugout and puches a wall, would you assume he used his dominant hand? Maybe not, but one guy did (that one guy being a roto genius BTW) and now you've pronounced him full of it? Dude, chill. :-t
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Rotoworld » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:49 am

I didn't write the article - But from it I didn't get that Brown would be recomended because of him punching a wall again(or leading with whatever hand). He is recomended because he was a solid pitcher in the first half of the year and was a concenus top 20 pitcher at draft time last spring.

It was an error - unfortunately it happens and we try to correct them so they don't happen in the future. Thats the best I can tell you.

TheRock and Kolbsaves - thanks for the kind words.

TheYanks04 - I hope, that despite the error, you will continue to come to rotoworld for the most timely and comprehensive news in the industry.

I do appreciate the feedback guys...if anything is amiss about the site shoot me an email - mailto:RCordella@allstarstats.com

I appreciate it...
-Rick
Rotoworld
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Tavish » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:10 am

Honestly the wrong broken hand didn't bother me as much as the inference that his problems were caused by the hand injury. Brown struggled pretty bad even before the injury and that was simply icing on the cake. He was hardly "well-above average" as the blurb indicated. He has lost velocity on his fastball, movement on his sinker, and doesn't have the LA stadium to fall back on anymore. Add in his constant injury problems is hard to recommend him as a pitcher worth pursuing. If he is still sitting there as a late round flier he might be worth taking a chance on, but counting on him as anything more than a #4 starter would be very risky.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers