5x5 - 11 team roto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

5x5 - 11 team roto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

5x5 - 11 team roto

Postby lycosa68 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:08 am

I don't think I did too bad in this draft but I am concerned about my pitching a bit. In my league, the three DH's can be any position player.

C- Jorge Posada
1B- Jim Thome
2B- Jose Reyes
3B- Hank Blalock
SS- Miguel Tejeda
OF- Randy Winn
OF- Jose Guillen
OF- Coco Crisp
DH- Jason Giambi
DH- Aramis Ramirez
DH- Kaz Matsui

SP- Randy Johnson
SP- Josh Beckett
SP- Jeremy Bonderman
SP- Derrick Lowe
SP- Scott Kazmir
CL- Francisco Rodriguez
CL- Octavio Dotel

Bench- Dan Haren
lycosa68
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby seniorpaul » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:24 am

I think that your pitching might be alright. RJ will put up good numbers in NY, and i think Bonderman is going to have a breakout season. THeres been a lot of reports coming out of spring training that he's been outstanding thus far, granted, its' spring training.

Your infeild is stacked, but it clearly resulted in your getting a subpar outfeild. With only two bench players, i'm not sure where i would start trying to trade though.

If you get a chance...
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=104459
seniorpaul
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:09 pm

You're hitting seems pretty strong. However, in an 11 team league, I'd suspect you can do better than Kaz Matsui as a DH. I wouldn't mind Kaz as my 2B or SS, but since Reyes, Winn, and Crisp should take care of stolen bases, you might try and see if you can find a replacement for Kaz.

I agree, however, that your pitching may be a bit weak. It's true that RJ and Beckett, while both health risks, should be very good. I also like Lowe this year. He probably won't get a huge amount of strikeouts, but when you take into account the league switch, the division switch, the park switch, and the ridiculous amount of bad luck he had last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see an ERA around 3.75. Personally, though, I feel Bonderman's still a year away from breaking out. While most would probably disagree, I'd still suggest picking up a better starter to put on your bench, just in case. Haren won't have much value this year - I'd try to see if you can find a better option - someone like Jerome Williams, maybe. As for Kazmir, I think his numbers from last year show that he's probably not fantasy-worthy just yet. In an 11 team league, I think you might be able to find someone better. Just to clarify, I'm not talking about trading. I think you can easily pick someone up who's better than Kazmir or Haren.

However, your bullpen is fantastic, which will definitely help. Still, I'd try to replace Kazmir and Haren.

And, if you have a chance...
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=104211
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby lycosa68 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:48 pm

Here are some of the pitchers left on the FA wire.

Doug Davis
Ted Lilly
Jose Contreras
Woody Williams
Kris Benson
Jake Westbrook
Brad Penny

I like Davis, Williams and Westbrook for various reasons. Davis' second half last season worries me. Maybe I drop Kazmir and Haren and pick up Westbrook and Davis.

The thing is, pitching went pretty quick in the early rounds. I don't know how everyone feels, but I feel there is a big drop off in talent after the top 3-4 starters and then another after the next 4-5.

I picked 5th and took Randy Johnson. Beltran was there but IMO, you have to have at least one stud SP to have any chance at winning. By the time it went down and back up to me, the best starter on the board was probably Tim Hudson or Carlos Zambrano. So I took Miguel Tejada 2nd.

I just was not going to fall into the trap of picking the best SP avaliable (Zambrano, Hudson) and leave a player like Tejada.

The good thing is the better pitchers are spread out among the teams because of the "I have to get a pitcher" mode the draft took.
lycosa68
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:11 pm

Well, I would have taken Beltran over RJ, but if you ended up with RJ and Tejada, it's hard to argue with that.

Pick up Brad Penny right away. He'll start the season on the DL, but he should be back shortly after that, and he's a great pitcher. He doesn't get a huge amount of K's (probably somewhere between 120 and 140), but he's a great pitcher who should have a very low ERA and WHIP.

I've noticed that many people in the cafe expect an increase in ERA from Westbrook this year, so although he wouldn't be a terrible option, just don't expect an ERA nearly as low as last year's. I'm also skeptical that Davis' ERA will be that low again. (To give you some numbers, RotoChamps predicts a 4.50 ERA and a 1.48 WHIP.) So after you pick up Penny, I'd probably pick up Lilly or Benson. Lilly's a talented pitcher who should have an ERA around 4, maybe a little below, with respectable K's. Benson pitches in a good park - he had a 3.60 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP in seven games in Shea Stadium last year. Unfortunately, that's a very small sample size, so it doesn't really tell you too much. Plus, I just think Lilly's the more talented pitcher.

So I'd suggest picking up Penny and Lilly. If you have a DL slot in your league, then once Penny is officially designated onto the DL, you can pick up Benson or Westbrook until Penny comes back.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team