Holy crap - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Holy crap

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Holy crap

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:08 am

I was watching the Minnesota State 4A championship. It was a pretty good game and with 2.4 seconds left the Eastview team tipped the ball in. So it's desperation time for Hopkins and the kid hurls it down the court. This kid tries to draw a foul but ends up passing it to this kid who was sliding across the floor near the three point arc. So he's on his ass, championship on the line and heaves it soccer style towards the hoop and swishes it. It was the most amazing play i've ever seen in basketball. Hopefully it will be on sportcenter. It'll probably be posted on a site, so keep your eyes peeled.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Holy crap

Postby DaQ » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:52 am

SuptownSpartans34 wrote:I was watching the Minnesota State 4A championship. It was a pretty good game and with 2.4 seconds left the Eastview team tipped the ball in. So it's desperation time for Hopkins and the kid hurls it down the court. This kid tries to draw a foul but ends up passing it to this kid who was sliding across the floor near the three point arc. So he's on his ass, championship on the line and heaves it soccer style towards the hoop and swishes it. It was the most amazing play i've ever seen in basketball. Hopefully it will be on sportcenter. It'll probably be posted on a site, so keep your eyes peeled.

8-o

If it ever reaches the web, post a link - I'd like to see it.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GEBaseball3 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:10 am

wow thats amazing, i would love to see it!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.
-Archie Griffen, two-time Heisman winner
GEBaseball3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nsulham » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:20 am

There was a similar play on SC this past week. Kid missed a free throw, someone from the other team grabbed the rebound, launched it the length of the court and made it.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JTWood » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:13 pm

Sounds amazing... 8-o

If you get a link, def post it super pronto!
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:17 pm

I found this so far:

Hopkins' Blake Hoffarber, left front, is mobbed by teammates after hitting a miracle shot while lying on the floor that sent the 4A title game into double overtime. Hopkins went on to beat Eastview 71-60.

startribune.com wrote:Every night, millions of young basketball players lie on their backs dreaming about hitting the big shot in a big game. None of them, however, dreams about hitting the shot while lying on their backs.

Blake Hoffarber, a sophomore guard from Hopkins, dreamed the impossible dream in a double-overtime Class 4A boys' basketball championship game Saturday night at Target Center. His game-high 25 points helped Hopkins record a 71-60 victory over Eastview, but the biggest basket of the night -- and of Hoffarber's life -- came while he sat on his backside atop the three-point line. He threw up a rainbow that fell through the hoop as time expired in the first overtime, keeping the game alive.

"I wasn't really thinking," he said. "I had to throw it up, and it went in. I was surprised."

Not only had Hoffarber never made such a shot, he said, he never even had attempted such a shot.

"You've got to get lucky sometimes, that's all there is to it," Hopkins coach Ken Novak said. "We'll take it."

If Hoffarber, Novak's nephew, had been about a foot farther from the basket, the shot would have been worth three points. But it kept Eastview from closing out an impressive evening in which the Lightning overcame a 17-point third-quarter deficit in their first appearance in the state tournament.

Eastview's Darren Kent had scored to give the Lightning a 58-56 lead, and Hopkins called timeout with 0.6 seconds showing on the clock. But the officials ruled that the timeout came with 2.5 seconds to go; that gave Hopkins enough time for Hoffarber's big basket.

Hoffarber hit five of eight three-pointers in the game, and one of them sent it into the first overtime. Arden Skoglund added 13 points for top-ranked Hopkins (31-1), Steven Duncan had 12 and Andrew Henke had 10.

No. 2 Eastview (27-5) was led by Darren Kent with 20 points and 12 rebounds. Alex White had 12 points and Zach Johnson had 11.

The Royals captured their second state championship in four years.

"We didn't give up, and all of a sudden things went our way," Novak said.

Eastview trailed 37-22 at halftime but outscored Hopkins 27-12 in the third and fourth quarters.

Eastview went with a full-court press as the third period began, and the pressure helped the Lightning trim Hopkins' lead. Johnson's first points of the game helped get the margin to nine, and Kent scored from the baseline to cut the Royals' lead to 41-32 with 3:22 left in the third quarter. The margin remained the same as the third period ended with Hopkins on top 43-34.

Travis Rotegard scored from the lane for Eastview as the final eight minutes began, then Johnson converted a three-point play with 6:43 to go. B.J. Viau then drove for a short jumper and Hopkins led 43-41. Eastview's 9-0 run ended when Henke made two free throws, putting the Royals in front 45-41.

A three-pointer by White made it a one-point game, and Johnson drove the lane, scored and Eastview was in front 46-45. As Hopkins was missing three consecutive free throws, White made another three to put the Lightning on top 49-46 with 2:55 left. But Hoffarber hit a three-pointer with 25 seconds left to send it into the first overtime at 49-49.

After that, it all seemed like a dream.
Last edited by JTWood on Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby SuptownSpartans34 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:21 pm

I've been lookin for a link for a while, can't find one yet. The kid is also only a sophomore.
Woo Badgers
SuptownSpartans34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:38 pm

8-o
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:29 pm

nsulham wrote:There was a similar play on SC this past week. Kid missed a free throw, someone from the other team grabbed the rebound, launched it the length of the court and made it.

this it?
http://wm.gannett.speedera.net/wm.gannett/wfmy/video/news/020105superbbshot1.wmv
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:47 pm

Sox FANatic001 wrote:
nsulham wrote:There was a similar play on SC this past week. Kid missed a free throw, someone from the other team grabbed the rebound, launched it the length of the court and made it.

this it?
http://wm.gannett.speedera.net/wm.gannett/wfmy/video/news/020105superbbshot1.wmv

Yep, that shot was posted here quite awhile back. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to General Talk