Danny Haren - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Danny Haren

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Danny Haren

Postby Steve-o » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:47 pm

Just curious what everyone thinks of this guy. A good fifth starter option in deeper leagues? BP seemed pretty high on him if I remember correctly.

Not that ST means anything but, his stats this spring are outstanding.

14 IP, 1.29 ERA, 12 Hits, 3 BB, 10 Ks.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:58 pm

Maybe a fifth starter if you're pretty desperate. I wouldn't count on him for a whole lot fantasy wise since this will be his first full year in the rotation, and that usually means trouble. After this year though I like his chances of developing into a solid No 2 in real life and a good 2-3 in most fantasy leagues. He K's a good number of batters and has had good ratios in limited major league action.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby so0perspam » Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:02 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Maybe a fifth starter if you're pretty desperate. I wouldn't count on him for a whole lot fantasy wise since this will be his first full year in the rotation, and that usually means trouble. After this year though I like his chances of developing into a solid No 2 in real life and a good 2-3 in most fantasy leagues. He K's a good number of batters and has had good ratios in limited major league action.

Agreed. ;-D
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby ramble2 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:59 pm

I took him in as my final pick in a 25 round, 12 team keeper league. See my sig? I'm not entirely unbiased.

If you are looking for pitching help, OAK isn't a bad place to go. Before taking Haren, I'd take Street, Calero or Cruz. Street could slip into the closer role by the end of the year.

Calero and Cruz deserve their own paragraph. If you can get this duo, do it. OAK plans on 'shortening' games this year when their young guys are starting. That means Cruz and Calero are going to be getting into a lot of games in the middle innings. Both should put up solid numbers and pick up a lot of 'vulture' wins. If you are working with an IP limit, their K/IP and wins/IP ratios should be very good. Calero is a better pick than Cruz (better WHIP), but either can be a very useful piece of your pitching staff.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:03 am

Calero is one of the best and least appreciated MR out there.

I'm not sold on Street and Cruz though.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby ramble2 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:16 am

Mookie4ever wrote:Calero is one of the best and least appreciated MR out there.

I'm not sold on Street and Cruz though.

Calero is definitely the best of the bunch.

Street's track record is solid, although not long. He's done well in spring so far. I think he's worth a flyer just due to the closer possibility. If makes the team, keep an eye on him.

Cruz is the shakiest of the lot. I think his WHIP might be a high enough that other MR are worth taking over him, but the OAK strategy might net him enough wins to bump his value back up.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:23 am

Hey Ramble I heard about that Garcia kid playing for our local minor league team the Kane County Cougars. Someone was telling me he was pitching lights out in a game. You know anything about him?
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:42 am

SOUTHSIDE HITMEN wrote:Hey Ramble I heard about that Garcia kid playing for our local minor league team the Kane County Cougars. Someone was telling me he was pitching lights out in a game. You know anything about him?

Garcia has wicked stuff, he just cant harness it. He walks way too many guys. He rocketed through the ranks last year and made his MLB debut towards the end of the season and got shook up a little. Id say he'll be a solid bullpen guy in 06. Possibly the setup to Street.

As for Haren, I'm pulling up my skirt and riding on the Haren over Mulder bandwagon. The season will tell if I'm crazy or a genius, and all you'll have to do is check out my sig. :-o
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby ramble2 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:17 am

RynMan wrote:
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN wrote:Hey Ramble I heard about that Garcia kid playing for our local minor league team the Kane County Cougars. Someone was telling me he was pitching lights out in a game. You know anything about him?

Garcia has wicked stuff, he just cant harness it. He walks way too many guys. He rocketed through the ranks last year and made his MLB debut towards the end of the season and got shook up a little. Id say he'll be a solid bullpen guy in 06. Possibly the setup to Street.

As for Haren, I'm pulling up my skirt and riding on the Haren over Mulder bandwagon. The season will tell if I'm crazy or a genius, and all you'll have to do is check out my sig. :-o

RynMan, I sure hope you're right about Haren! I'm not as high on him as you are, but I do think he'll be a serviceable SP. He could be very good though, which is why I was glad to get him at the end of my draft. It's not a good idea to bet against Beane when it comes to young pitching.

As for Garcia, RynMan is probably right. Moving up multiple levels in the minors is usually a very good sign, but don't read too much into it. The A's are sometimes quicker to do this than other clubs. Garcia should be a great MR someday, or he might be used as trade bait. Unless you are in a very deep league, I wouldn't draft him.
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers