Alex Sanchez signs with Tampa Bay! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Sanchez signs with Tampa Bay!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:52 am

NYYanks723 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
NYYanks723 wrote:
MakeYouRunHome wrote:You dropped Matt Lawton for Alex Sanchez?

C- Jorge Posada
1B- Mark Teixiera
2B- Jeff Kent
3B- Aramis Ramirez
SS- Nomar Garciaparra
OF- Vladimir Guerrero
OF- Gary Sheffield
OF- Lance Berkman
Utl- Richie Sexson
Utl- Johnny Damon
Utl- Preston Wilson
B- Orlando Cabrera
B- Jeff Bagwell
B- Alex Sanchez

I agree with the move. Nice team. No harm done. Sanchez should get you some swipes, and you didn't need the 15 Hr's from Lawton. Not a bad move. ;-D

Precisely my thinking. Lawton is a nice player, but what use do I have for him? Sanchez will help my SB more than Lawton will, and he'll bat a higher average. I don't need Lawton's power.

That said, I'll probably pick Lawton back up to see if I can deal him or Bagwell.

You need a top of the order hitter badly - a couple of them actually - guys with high Rs, SBs, and BA. You took basically all cleanup hitters - although they are more tempting, next time you really need to balance it out more. Unless this is a H2H league and you are punting Rs ans SBs, then trade Damon, otherwise you need at least 2 - preferably 3 #1 or #2 hitters.

Also, how many DH spots do you have? With Berkman and Wilson, you are already looking for guys who can start immediately to play in those vacancies.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby NYYanks723 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:28 pm

The amount of runs my team scored are ridiculous. You don't have to have Ichiro to do well in runs. Guys like Vlad are always in the top tier when it comes to runs scored.

Only 3 or 4 playes on my team are projected to hit worse than .280 this year. Plus the .320+ average I'm likely to get from Vlad. My average is not in trouble.

Steals are the only thing I'm weak on. That's where Sanchez comes in.
NYYanks723
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:32 pm

Good luck on that...you going to pull a Preston Wlison out of the lineup for Alex Sanchez? Or a Lance Berkman when he is back? And that assumes that Sanchez starts, keeps the job for more than 3 weeks under Piniella if he does, or is not cut when Baldelli gets back. Deopneding on Sanchez for SBs is like depending on Juan Gone for power these days.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moochman » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:41 pm

What's the over/under on how many times Sanchez gets picked off of first before Pinella benches him?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:48 pm

I think it will be more like the # of dropped fly balls.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NYYanks723 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:03 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Good luck on that...you going to pull a Preston Wlison out of the lineup for Alex Sanchez? Or a Lance Berkman when he is back? And that assumes that Sanchez starts, keeps the job for more than 3 weeks under Piniella if he does, or is not cut when Baldelli gets back. Deopneding on Sanchez for SBs is like depending on Juan Gone for power these days.

Am I going to bench Preston or Berkman for Lawton, either? Uhhhh...no.

At least when Preston or Berkman have an off day, I can pick up a few extra steals instead of un-needed power.
NYYanks723
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:14 pm

So what does that amount to?...1 start a week tops? Less once the season gets in full gear. Even projecting it out for 4 months (2/3 of a season) when Baldelli returns (assuming he takes longer than expected) and Sanchez is sent to the bench or released, that will equate to 1/7 * 108 = 15 games. More or less best case that you could hope to get Sanchez into your lineup. Lets double that just to cover the multiple OF and Util positions involved just to be safe...so 30 games.

If you want to project him out for 50 SBs a season IF he played everyday, that means waht, 10-12 extra SBs. Helpful...sure...going to address a need of your squad...nope. You will need to play him to get hs benfit and that means sitting someone most of the time. Otherwise, he is a 5-12 SB boost to your squad (depedning in the days off) unless you get real lucky and catch him on his big days.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby water boy » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:23 pm

hybrid wrote:The signing makes a lot more sense after you take into acount that (the other great signing besides alomar) D. Baustista has retired. So really the Rays only had Crawford and Huff in the OF till Rocco gets back. The signing is merely a stop gap since they clearly don't want to play any other OF they currently have in ST (D. Brown/Goodwin/Singleton).

Also like I have said before, Gathright has no future with the Rays ... I think this makes it fairly obvious.

that just killed Gathright's value until Rocco would have came back.
water boy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NYYanks723 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:29 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:So what does that amount to?...1 start a week tops? Less once the season gets in full gear. Even projecting it out for 4 months (2/3 of a season) when Baldelli returns (assuming he takes longer than expected) and Sanchez is sent to the bench or released, that will equate to 1/7 * 108 = 15 games. More or less best case that you could hope to get Sanchez into your lineup. Lets double that just to cover the multiple OF and Util positions involved just to be safe...so 30 games.

If you want to project him out for 50 SBs a season IF he played everyday, that means waht, 10-12 extra SBs. Helpful...sure...going to address a need of your squad...nope. You will need to play him to get hs benfit and that means sitting someone most of the time. Otherwise, he is a 5-12 SB boost to your squad (depedning in the days off) unless you get real lucky and catch him on his big days.

Again, when is Lawton going to play? It's better that I pick up steals than power that I don't need. You make no sense. You're acting as if I'm dropping a starting player. Lawton would play LESS for me than Sanchez would. I don't give a crap about Lawton's power. I'd rather have speed with my power house offense.
NYYanks723
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:43 pm

I said nothing about Lawton in reference to what Sanchez was giving you. I said I would not bother with Sanchez if it meant dropping Lawton earlier in the thread as Sanchez blows and could lose his job.

Knock yourself out, but with or without Sanchez, your team is still short on speed and Sanchez is in all reality likely to give you a mere 5-12 SB boost. Your speed problems remains and all you have done is stick a band-aid on a gash. Damon wil get you 20-25...Vlad 15...Kent 5...Nomar 5 give or take. Wilson may help a bit I do not think he is running much now. You have about 50 Sbs on that starting squad...Add Sanchez and it goes up to 60 or so... You are talking about finishing bottom 1/3 of the category either way and at some point you either need to concede that and not worry about it or deal with it via a trade. Sanchez is not going to change that. You are talking like this is some sort of magical cure...your problem remains and it may in fact not warrant addressing if you can run up the other categories.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers