Alex Sanchez signs with Tampa Bay! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Sanchez signs with Tampa Bay!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:21 pm

He really didn't like much about Gathright. Lou felt he didn't take enough pitches and doesn't have the plate discipline right now (basically his approach to hitting), also he feels his defense is lacking. Honestly I haven't heard one thing he has liked about Gathright.

Oh yeah and Gathright is young, just another reason for Lou to dislike him. ;-7
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:25 pm

....didn't take enough pitches and doesn't have the plate discipline right now (basically his approach to hitting), also he feels his defense is lacking....

You could say that about a number of players (including Sanchez) that Lou has now. Has to be an attitude/personality thing in there somehow.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:28 pm

Did i mention Lou has a thing against young players? :-? Hey, I never said it made any sense, but that is how it is. You try to figure it out cause I have for the last few seasons and can't...
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:36 pm

Tell me about it, even worse with pitchers. Lou has a temper too. They say he has mellowed and understands pitching better now....Hah! Total Nonsense. As I use to say when Piniella managed here, you could put all of what he knows about pitching on a small Post-It and still have room left.

However, he usually goes off the deep end for lack of hustle or a loser's attitude...which is why I suspect (but have no knowledge of) that something else is going on there. This is just too bizarre to bring in Sanchez over Gathright.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby warrick95 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:44 pm

I think the #1 thing wrong about Tampa Bay right now is Lou Piniella. Gathright is among my favorite Rays. Let the kid play for crying out loud. His OBP will probably end up being similar to Sanchez's and if you give him a chance, he may improve. If they give him a negative attitude of course he won't care. This is ridiculous.

Maybe not Gathright. Why not Matt Diaz, who was released?! Or Jonny Gomes? The Rays seem to just hate all their young talent who other teams give shots to. The Rays seem content to letting subpar veterans with little upside play. Is this Lou Piniella's doing or Chuck LaMar's? It's just dumb.

I just don't get why they won't give Joey a shot. Gathright/Crawford would be lethal. He has more upside than Alex Sanchez. What the hell do they want him to do? Build more muscle? Get even faster?
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brandnew » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:47 pm

LBJackal wrote:Bautista retired? I thought he was still a pretty good hitter, and not that old :-? Ever since he dove forward for a ball in the OF and dislocated his shoulder I guess his career has gone down the drain. I remember watching that play because I had him on my team at the time and was hoping it was nothing serious. I guess it was.

Career OPS: .724 :-o

Sorry, just venting my disgust that the Braves ever showed interest in signing him for LF.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:52 pm

warrick95 wrote:I think the #1 thing wrong about Tampa Bay right now is Lou Piniella. Gathright is among my favorite Rays. Let the kid play for crying out loud. His OBP will probably end up being similar to Sanchez's and if you give him a chance, he may improve. If they give him a negative attitude of course he won't care. This is ridiculous.

Maybe not Gathright. Why not Matt Diaz, who was released?! Or Jonny Gomes? The Rays seem to just hate all their young talent who other teams give shots to. The Rays seem content to letting subpar veterans with little upside play. Is this Lou Piniella's doing or Chuck LaMar's? It's just dumb.

I just don't get why they won't give Joey a shot. Gathright/Crawford would be lethal. He has more upside than Alex Sanchez. What the hell do they want him to do? Build more muscle? Get even faster?

I agree with everything you said. As far as who is to blame, well Alex Sanchez was originally in the Rays system way back before his Brewer days ... so maybe Lamar? Anyways yes, the rays for some unknown reason refuse to play their young players unless they are at the time their best prospect, ex. rocco, crawford, upton (till lou hated his def.)
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Gwyddbwyll » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:56 pm

Bagwell has more potential than Lawton to be a real fantasy contributor rather than sat on the bench for the season. I think he was still better than Lawton last year, even though it was a down year for him and a career year for Lawton.
Gwyddbwyll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jpgretzky15 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:48 pm

I don't know why people are giving you flak for dropping Matt Lawton. It's not as if Lawton is some hot fantasy commodity. He'll have 15 HR, 70 RBI, and .285 like every single year. Maybe he wanted the 40 SB potential from Sanchez. Plus Sanchez can hit .300. Alex Sanchez is one of the most underrated fantasy players; he gets you nearly Pierre like numbers with average and steals, but goes 15 rounds later in the draft. I like the move, and I would have dropped Lawton for him.
Let's Go Yankees!
jpgretzky15
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:27 am

Sanchez won't start the whole year though, when Rocco comes back he will be out of a job.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers