Alex Sanchez signs with Tampa Bay! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex Sanchez signs with Tampa Bay!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alex Sanchez signs with Tampa Bay!

Postby chris8 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:59 pm

Check out this link:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb

Pity, as it means Gathright probably won't get a call-up now.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:17 pm

Do they have a clue down there? Why do they need someone as worthless as Sanchez?
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NYYanks723 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:21 pm

He should be a decent fantasy conributor. He steals a crapload when he plays and bats a good average. He should score some runs if he bats at the top of the order, with Huff behind him.

I just dropped Matt Lawton for him. At the very least, he should give me some speed boost off my bench.
NYYanks723
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:25 pm

Where does he play? Huff LF, Crawford CF, Baldelli RF (when hes healthy). Also, would you move Crawford outta the leadoff spot? If so to where? If he moves to the 3 hole is value goes up in my book. Even the 2 hole.

Also, I would rather take my chances on Gathright if I am Tampa Bay. Why prevent him from making an advancement for someone just as good?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bloody Nipples » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:27 pm

That was a very stupid signing. They already have a very speedy outfield, and Gathright is much better than Sanchez anyway. Why would they crowd a better player out of their lineup by signing a terrible player? Makes no sense to me.

Oh, and NYYanks, you should not have dropped Lawton for him. :-o
aka enderwiggin
Bloody Nipples
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:28 pm

Bottom of the order would be my guess, but who knows. His OBP is awful, his defense is even worse. Baldelli is back mid-season. Seems like a waste on a guy whose has no upside. There is a reason Detroit cut him loose.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NYYanks723 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:28 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:That was a very stupid signing. They already have a very speedy outfield, and Gathright is much better than Sanchez anyway. Why would they crowd a better player out of their lineup by signing a terrible player? Makes no sense to me.

Lawton is by far the worst hitter on my offense. He's in Pittsburgh which means some of his numbers will probably decrease. My team is short on steals and mega-high on power. All signs pointed to Sanchez.
NYYanks723
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MakeYouRunHome » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:29 pm

You dropped Matt Lawton for Alex Sanchez?
MakeYouRunHome
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:29 pm

chris8 wrote:Pity, as it means Gathright probably won't get a call-up now.

even without the signing of sanchez, i seriously doubt gathright is a devil ray anytime soon..... they(the rays front office and lou) are extremely displeased with him right now for not working out and having a "i dont care" attitude..... this signing just solidfys for a fact how they feel about gathright....... it will be interesting how this affects crawford though if they do infact move craw to the #2 hole..... i would think that they would just put sanchez at the #9 hole
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:30 pm

Bloody Nipples wrote:That was a very stupid signing. They already have a very speedy outfield, and Gathright is much better than Sanchez anyway. Why would they crowd a better player out of their lineup by signing a terrible player? Makes no sense to me.

I agree that I probably wouldn't have dropped Lawton, but it wasn't that terrible of a move. Despite being an awful ML player, the guy will have significant fantasy value (at least till the ASB, when Baldelli gets back). Until then, he should be the full time starter in CF and should steal a significant amount of bases.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers