Is Schilling a 20win 300 K guy this year? Yes or No, Please? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Schilling a 20win 300 K guy this year? Yes or No, Please?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Schilling a 20win 300 K guy this year? Yes or No, Please?

Postby YankFan51 » Mon May 05, 2003 7:58 pm

I got Schilling for Brett Myers and Gary Sheffield. I think I want to pull the trigger, but I want some thoughts on Schilling. Also, I could give up Lilly and Sheffield for Randy. Yes, he has them both
My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue
We've always been here tryin' to sing the truth to you
Guess you could say we've always been red white and blue
"Red White and Blue," Lynyrd Skynyrd
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Mon May 05, 2003 8:06 pm

I think I'd stay away from getting Randy, unless it was cheap. I don't think Schilling is a lock for either 20 or 300, but he should approach those numbers.

I'm a Sheff owner, so I hope he keeps it up, but more likely he cools off a bit from being the top fantasy OF to somewhere in the top 10. Myers is a nice filler pitcher, but not a guy you will miss getting Schilling.

If you need help at SP and are strong in the OF I'd probably do it.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nomar4prez » Mon May 05, 2003 8:09 pm

Maybe
Nomar4prez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Mon May 05, 2003 8:09 pm

My gut feeling is that Schilling is on the decline somewhat this year. Look at his late season collapse last year and playoff implosion, which cost him the Cy Young as well as a weak start to this year. The last start he had, he was likely still rusty from his appendectomy, but even before that this year, he hasn't looked great.

I still think he is a top 5 pitcher, but probably won't be his usual 20 win, 300 K self. I'd expect only 15-18 wins and 200-250 K this year with an ERA around 3.50.

I would not give up too much for RJ at this point, because he is likely to miss the full six weeks, and he might struggle to regain his dominant form even after that.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby YankFan51 » Mon May 05, 2003 8:12 pm

Thanks for that commentary.

Not to turn this into a trade forum post, but do you consider Schilling worthly of me trading Sheffield and Brett Myers? Sheffield plays util for me, since I got Damon, Bonds, and Beltran otherwise, so Sheffield can be traded.

My SPs are Buerhlie, Mulder, Washburn, Lilly, Meche, Beckett, and Myers. Are those SPs good or could I badly use Schilling?
My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue
We've always been here tryin' to sing the truth to you
Guess you could say we've always been red white and blue
"Red White and Blue," Lynyrd Skynyrd
YankFan51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jdh » Mon May 05, 2003 8:16 pm

I would do it. Even if Schilling has a somewhat off-year, he will still be a rock solid top 10 pitcher. And it makes sense for you, because your OF is fine without Sheffield and it would give you 5 solid starters in Schilling, Mulder, Buerhle, Washburn and Beckett. Lilly, Myers and Meche are fairly unproven sleepers, so it signifigantly upgrades your pitching.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chiggidy Chester » Mon May 05, 2003 11:04 pm

I just talked to Schilling. He said 20 wins 300k if you trade him, 5 wins and 1 measly strikeout if you keep him.
Chiggidy Chester
College Coach
College Coach

Postby gregdub » Mon May 05, 2003 11:07 pm

i would jump on Schilling, especially since you don't have to absorb his poor stats thus far. He has yet to get in his groove. He might not be as good as last year, but will still be a top 6-8 starter. He has shown some stuff this year in some of his starts. Eliminate his Coors outing and his last rusty start, and he hasn't been that bad.
gregdub

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby HOOTIE » Tue May 06, 2003 12:14 am

I wouldnt trade Sheff and Myers for Curt. Sheff is having a mvp type start, and Myers is for real. Schilling would have to be Curt of last year to maybe make out with him. Curt got hit hard in Sept, age and innings make him no longer a top 5 guy. Damon shouldnt be starting for you.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Jack-In-A-Box » Tue May 06, 2003 2:42 am

Chiggidy Chester wrote:I just talked to Schilling. He said 20 wins 300k if you trade him, 5 wins and 1 measly strikeout if you keep him.

LoL.. you know how boring life would be without the smartasses of the world? Very!
Jack-In-A-Box
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers