Brandon Lyon sleeper closer... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Lyon sleeper closer...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RE

Postby Big85Blue85 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:40 pm

Others, such as?
Big85Blue85
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:46 pm

Lyon pitched fairly well that half year he was with the Red Soxs... I liked him. Then I believe they traded him to Pittsburg were he had shoulder problems so they traded him back, and then I guess his shoulder was worse than thought... I think something like that happened. Dont Quote me on it...

But Lyon has the potential to be a solid pitcher, he is still fairly young
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Re: RE

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:55 pm

Big85Blue85 wrote:Others, such as?

well...pretty much anyone who is actually the next in line to get a closer job.

if you take someone like branden donnelly...he's likely to help you a lot more than lyon. i understand that the reason people might be looking at lyon is because valverde or aquino are not guranteed to be able to hold on to their jobs and then lyon might emerge as the closer...but how long will that take? is lyon good enough to close? he had some good games with the sox, but i've seen him pitching for the jays...and argh!

why not take a chance on alfonseca, urbina or tim worrell? i think they are more likely to close a game this year than lyon.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

re

Postby Big85Blue85 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:15 pm

Yeah, but when you're in a 14 team league at 30 guys a roster + prospects, the obvious guys are long since owned.
Big85Blue85
College Coach
College Coach

Re: RE

Postby Purple Haze » Sat Mar 19, 2005 4:55 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:
Big85Blue85 wrote:Others, such as?

well...pretty much anyone who is actually the next in line to get a closer job.

if you take someone like branden donnelly...he's likely to help you a lot more than lyon. i understand that the reason people might be looking at lyon is because valverde or aquino are not guranteed to be able to hold on to their jobs and then lyon might emerge as the closer...but how long will that take? is lyon good enough to close? he had some good games with the sox, but i've seen him pitching for the jays...and argh!

why not take a chance on alfonseca, urbina or tim worrell? i think they are more likely to close a game this year than lyon.

Maybe because all the guys you mention..Donnelly,Urbina, Worrell..Are obvious choices... What Brandon Lyon is constitutes a "True Sleeper" not what many on the cafe consider sleeper's...

I've read names from, Carlos Zambrano to Bobby Abreu as "SLEEPERS" here on the cafe :-? ...I'll agree to disgaree about the "Sleeper" status of that caliber of player...

(A sleeper is someone, the majority of owners "Sleep" on hence the name, "Sleeper"..Everyone knows the names you mentioned)

Just my 2 cents... Brandon Lyon "COULD" be a potential closer at some point this season.... ;-D
And at least a decent source of Holds and garbage wins for leagues that utilize set-up men.. ;-)
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

re

Postby RFay8585 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:56 pm

Greg Aquino, RP ARI

News: Greg Aquino made his first spring appearance Saturday and allowed three runs and two walks in 2/3 of an inning.

Ouch.
RFay8585
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Fantasy ExpertCafe Writer

Postby so0perspam » Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:25 pm

Brandon Lyon's career stats wrote:Lyon shouldn't even be thought of on draft day unless you're in a 50 team league.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:32 pm

I figured I'd resurrect this topic, since Opening Day is awfully close, and the Arizona closer situation is still as murky as ever. Valverde pitched extremely poorly in ST and is now on the DL (although not for long), Aquino hasn't fared especially well either (6 ER in 5.1 IP), and Lyon has 11 strikeouts, 0 walks, and a 0.82 ERA in 11 innings this spring. People generally seem to feel that Lyon doesn't have a very good chance of closing, but if he doesn't, then who will?
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:35 pm

well, with valverde on the 15 day dl and both he and aquino being sub-par, you've got to assume that lyon has a better shot now than he did earlier this month.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zEli173 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:11 pm

Lyon pitched well for the Sox two years ago. In fact, some of the guys on the Phillies remarked that he had the best stuff they had faced all year. He could be good.
zEli173
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers