is this pitching staff any good? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

is this pitching staff any good?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is this pitching staff any good?

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:40 am

in an amazing feat of yahoo weirdness, i ended up with the exact same pitching staff on two autodrafted teams. it's eerie, yeah both of my offenses suck with it, and i only have two closers on each team... but still, tell me if i did a good job with this pitching staff:

oh woops. there's one difference. in one league i have johan santana, in the other leauge i dont. thats the only difference.

SP -jason schmidt, carlos zambrano, josh beckett, chris carpenter, dan haren, erik bedard, cliff lee
RP - foulke and kolb

yeah and in one of hte two leagues, add johan santana to the SPs.

so is that starting staff any good? i'm mainly asking if you guys are as hyped about beckett/carpenter/haren/bedard/lee as i am. while im not 100% on cliff lee being a stud, i think bedard will have a sub-4 ERA and 12+ wins this year, and i think haren will have ~12-15 wins, a sub 4 ERA, and be around 175-200K if he can make it 200+ IP.

what do y'all think?

check my other thread @ http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=104187 cuz i've been asnswering a lot of yours =D

# j1m
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:45 am

If you're in a 12 or 14 team league, there should be some better guys out there than Haren and Bedard.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:59 am

welp, the one guy who seems to have made it through all of the drafts i've been in (three, one winners league and two "competitive" leagues) is jason marquis.

then kaz ishii makes it through.

i know that haren and bedard havent done anything yet at MLB to warrant my hype, but i think they're sleepers going into this year. especially bedard, who was like 6-10 4.73 last year.

the reason i have them is because i ranked the mhigh. that might have been dumb in retrospect cuz i could have endd up with better pitchers, like a matt clement or a greg maddux or kelvim escobar or someone like that... but i wanted to roll the dice on harden, haren, and bedard this year.

every year i take on a couple'a pitchers who i over-rank and bet on their success. bedard is my big leap this year, and then haren. i think both of them will win at least 12 games and have eras under 4.25.

ideally, i think both can win 15+ with 3.75ish or below ERAs and strike out 170+

otherwise, is the core of schmidt, zabrano, carpenter, and beckett good for SPs?

i know htat santana, schmidt, zambrano, carpenter, and beckett is pretty damn good, esp when you consider that i think this year is the year where beckett finally figures out the blisters and wins 17+ with a sub-3 ERA and 250+ Ks
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby so0perspam » Sat Mar 19, 2005 3:04 am

I can buy into Haren, but not Bedard. The guy has absolute no control, as seen by his incredibly high WHIP of 1.60. The K's are there yes (121 in 137 IP), but a 4.25 would be an optimistic prediction, and that WHIP will still be above 1.50, which just doesn't cut it. Another bad thing about him is that he can't pitch more than 6 innings a start, mainly because he's still not fully recovered from that Tommy John surgery .... so the win total will obviously suffer.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team