Drafting position - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting position

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2 more cents

Postby Decack » Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:36 am

I won't really add much value to this thread except to offer this opinion, every position has its advantages and disadvantages and I like all of them for the most part. The 4th pick can be kind of a pain, however it still allows you an awesome player at the front end of the draft. Picking 9th last year should have been advantageous, except I went with LuGo who followed up 57 dingers and a near MVP season with what 26 bombs? This year Iv'e looked at cheat sheets and I'd be happy just about anywhere, however I'd really love to get Pujols somewhat late in the first. This would allow me to fill other positions and then get a 'best available 1B or 3B' a little later. ;-)
Decack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Pleading the 5th!

Postby MadHatter » Mon Dec 23, 2002 1:38 pm

I'm in a 15 team league and we use draft based on a "revolving snake" meaning that ever 2nd round is pulled out of a hat before hand to decide order. So we snake rounds 1 and 2 separately from 3 and 4. It helps to avoid owner frustration. So throughout our draft we get mid-round and book-end picks - but it's hard to strategize in a draft like this.
MadHatter
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

It's not where you draft it's who you draft, or IS it where?

Postby JDD » Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:00 pm

What a great topic, your most and least favorite draft slots... kinda like what gate you are in for a horse race...

I like bookend picks for only one reason, if I decide to chose one pitcher then hitter, and continue alternate for a while, it helps me with my discipline.

I like early picks because you get the cream of the crop, and if you pick in the top four, you get three of the top 28 players available, or five of the top fifty-two, depending how you look at it.

I do not like picks five through... let's say... ten. I always tend to see the last of the studs fall off the board early during that third round. It wouldn't be that bad THIS year, because starting pitching appears to be pretty deep.

Choice number eleven has to be the worst, you don't get a top ten pick, and how many times have those of us in the second or 11th hole seeN the bookend guy take not one but TWO of our sleepers????

It kills me sometimes. Good topic!
JDD

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

draft

Postby HOOTIE » Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:42 pm

A draft pick is only as good as you make it. Unless its a keeper league, i would pass on the top 3 picks, getting Arod or Vlad in a keeper is gold. The middle is ok since it allows you the most think time between a pick. I prefer the end pick, for 2 reasons. I think getting the 12th and 13th player puts me ahead of the guy with the 1st and 24th. Second, you can dictate a round if you so choose.
HOOTIE

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers