Drafting position - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Drafting position

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drafting position

Postby Grenade Teeth » Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:35 am

This is related to the mock draft, but then again it isn't. I'm thinking about the traditional snake draft with 12 people. What is the best and worst positions to be drafting? I have my preferences, but I want to know others thoughts as well.

My Opinions.
Without any knowledge of players, I like to pick in the middle (5-8) and I hate 1, 2, 11, 12. I find I can be better prepared to draft one player at a time instead of the 2 picks very near each other. By this coming year I think my least favorite draft spot will be 3, because i think there is a significant drop after ARod and Unit and then you get the 22nd pick

Anyone else really opinionated on the subject?
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:18 pm

Great topic!

I'm actually one of those folks who doesn't mind having one of the bookend picks. Two consecutive picks can sometimes catch other owners flatfooted and set the tone for several rounds. It's nice to be able to start runs, for instance by picking two straight closers...

On the whole, though, I don't have a terribly strong opinion here. It's all good when you're drafting. :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:42 pm

I completely agree with Arlo. I think sitting on the middle rounds helps your overall fantasy value of your team a little more than if you were bookended with your draft position. However, having a bookend pick REALLY makes it so YOU can control the draft and start the run on relief pitchers or OF early.

I will BE HEARD before the end of this draft! hehehe
"EDDDDDDD-Gaaaaaaaar"
awwchrist Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Grenade Teeth » Fri Dec 06, 2002 12:50 pm

being on the bookends also makes you vulnerable to runs as well. If the run starts after you or at the other end of the draft, you could get hung out to dry. I think this is the reason most runs start.

Personally, I always try to pick the best player that fits a need of mine. And I try to avoid picking a position because everyone else is picking a position.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby cwebb » Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:25 pm

Don't get caught up in runs!

That's a major mistake as you miss out on some great players at other positions. I don't really like or dislike any position but a bookend position makes it harder to grab sleepers for me. I start thinking "This guy might not be left 20 picks later" and draft guys too early (or never as they're really off the board later)
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby tallmike » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:16 pm

I like bookend pickes as it gives you the chance to take a relatively sure thing and a risky pick and feel better about it. I like the strategy and usually have a couple that I'm torn between.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:12 pm

I like the 12 pick. You already see how some teams are drafting and I love the back to back picks. Only bad thing is alot can change between your picks, so you have to be prepared.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Tribe » Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:05 pm

It's funny, because the last couple of years in both fantasy baseball and football I've wound up with one of the "bookend" picks. I've grown quite accustom to it. I like it, because I can usually take a "sure" thing, and gamble with the other if I want to.

Also, the point about getting caught in runs on positions is dead on. That's the other thing I like about bookend picks: you can easily start a run by grabbing the best at a position, and, by the time it snakes back to you, you can usually grab the players you would have taken anyway. If a run has already started by the time my pick comes up, I usually will sit back and grab the best available players.
Tribe
T-Ball Trainer

Postby fatdog » Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:17 pm

I've got to diagree here. I'm all for the middle picks. I think picking in one of the bookend slots leaves you way too open for runs and it tends to make me more distracted.(short attention span and all that) If I have to wait 20 picks or so before my next pick Im liable to start thinking all kinds of weird crap, and overthinking my choices and not trusting my instincts. All in all give me a middle pick.
fatdog
T-Ball Trainer

Postby cheferic » Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:45 am

well i have to admit i do enjoy the idea of the bookend...i love it when you get to choose those two picks and you can really floor some other owners at that spit second. however when reality sets in and im not picking for the next 20 to 25 picks im really thinking ive missed out. on the whole i tend to be a much better fantasy picking just outside the middle say a 4 or a 8 or 9. just a trend with me. but i do like those bookends....its like chasing a high fastball! :-#
'we can rebuild them...we have the technology'
cheferic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers