I need advice on what to pursue in a trade, help please. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I need advice on what to pursue in a trade, help please.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I need advice on what to pursue in a trade, help please.

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:37 am

This is the team I just drafted, its a Roto League. 12 teams.

Stat Cats: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, OBP, SLG
W, CG, SV, HR, K, ERA, WHIP, K/9

Normal positions with Util and just 3 OF, no specific position.

C- Hernandez, Ramon
1B- Pujols, Albert
2B- Giles, Marcus
SS- Young, Michael
3B- Wright, David
OF- Wells, Vernon
OF- Drew, J.D.
OF- Guillen, Jose
Util- Hunter, Torii
Bench:
Boone, Aaron
Alfonzo, Edgardo
Wilson, Craig
Reed, Jermey

SP- Sheets, Ben
SP- Perez, Oliver
RP- Nathan, Joe
RP- Rincon, Juan
P- Escobar, Kelvim
P- Webb, Brandon
P- Benson, Kris
Bench:
Donnelly, Brendan
Millwood, Kevin

I know my RP is bad, I need 1 more closer. I think I have 3 good top of the rotation SP, but I have a big jump from Escobar to Webb, Benson and Millwood. I just took these guys because not much was left and I took guy's with potential. I also know a Pitcher will come from nowhere during the season and I will grab one then.

I also am lacking speed, but I think I have a very good team in almost every offensive category other than SB and I think I can be around the middle in SB. I might trade someone for SB later on.

What do you guys think?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:01 am

wow i really like your offense. i think it's the best one i've analyzed in my binge tonight. you have the best infield that i've seen tonight for sure, as pujols is a rock, marcus giles, barring injury, is a very nice well-rounded 2B, michael young is the guy i've targeted as my #1 SS this season (altho nomar is getting high marks too), david wright has stud potential too.

the OF is a bit enh, cuz at this point i'm still not sold on JD drew as a perennial 30/100 guy, as he could still get injured. vernon wells eeds to step up and get out of his 1/19 or 1/22 slump (it was indeed something like 1/19 this spring when i checked last night)... he's got the tools to be .300/30/100/20, but he seems to get off to slow starts... still, the potential is there.

for all of his troubles, and he seems to be a real jerkwad, jose guillen should be pretty solid for lex expos volume 2, tho being the chronic underestimater htat i am (hey, i'd rather assume the worst and get surprised by the better, as opposed to the opposite) i'm thinkin .280/25/80 for mr guillen... torii hunter could put up solid offensive #s, 30/100 maybe, so the upside is there, but again, i assume torii to be something like .275/20-25/75-90 and let anyhting better surprise me. craig wilson on the bench is a nice touch, and so is aaron boone if he recovers from that blown out knee and produces like he did back b4 he got injured.

i like your SP, as olympic hero ben sheets (OHBS as i will refer to him from hereon out BOARD, yeah not just to you, but i always mockingly call him OHBS).... ol dirty perez is another enigma, tho he seems to fall more on the side of getting it. cuz i've tinkered around wiht ol dirty perez from 2002 on. he's got the skills, that's for damn sure. he can get on a roll and flat out dominate with 12Ks.... but then there was something which i like to call the annual oliver perez meteoric rise to 6.00 ERA-dom... it didnt really happen last year tho, he seemed to be more under control... if he gets evne better than that, he could easily win 15+ on a bad pittsvburgh team with that stuff. and he's a trooper. i remember games where he gave up 6-7 runs but still struck out 8-10 people in 5-6 innings. brandon webb is a lot of people's candidate to be a sleeper ace-type pitcher on the cheaps after a not-so-great year last year. kris benson can have his moments... and hey, who knows, maybe the ghost of leo mazzone will visit millwood and make him good again, but i wouldnt count on it.

oh yeah, and i think kelvim escobar is at worst a solid ~10-12 win 4.00-4.50 ERA guy, but i do think he has upside, and on a good anaheim team, at best, could be like 15ish wins with a 3.50-3.75 ERA and 200Ks... a nice little sleeper type middle to arse end of the rotation guy who could turn into a fantasy commodity.

obviously, as you've mentioned it... get some RP help... i think you have the offensive depth to go for it. you can either use the craig wilson aaron boone thing as a trade, or as your backups if you wanna trade a more established bat out there for a RP. you seriously need a stud RP, evne if it means giving up one of your cornerstone bats to do so. joe nathan is basically a cornerstone RP, and since he's so studly you might be able to tread water in the swaves categotry with one more dynamo damn-near-a-lock-for-40+ -saves guy..... maybe you shouldnt re-mortgage the house on another closer, as i suppose it IS feasible to tank in saves and then bet on yourself making up the perspective 6-9 points you'd tank in the category in about 3-4 offensive categories, maybe in the Ks/wins categories.... but if you can manage at least one more stud RP, you can prolly tread water with your good offense and solid SP until you're able to get fringe saves from injury replacements (tim worrell has been a great scavenger saves-guy over ythe last 2 years in that role) or midseason changes... like, example, who's gonna be saving games for the brewers in july? if it's not who's closing for htem now, then you can get up oin that and milk it for what its worth)

so yeah, doctor sinny says to get another stud RP to enable yourself to at least hang around the middle of the saves pack, then maybe work some other trades for a third RP, or hope htat two studs and some mix and matching with injury/midseason replacement closers will net you enough saves to stay competitive in the saves hunt and keep you from tanking a categoryu, hence staying in the overall stretch run for that much longer.

plz peep my thread out @ http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=104187

hasta

# el sinzorcollapiss suarez del playa hombre!!
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:08 am

hey thanks man that was much appreciated.

I was thinking of offering Wells for Lidge, but doubt it would happen. What do you think I can get for Wells or should I trade another position player for a reliever. I don't need a top teir reliever I feel I got mine in Nathan I just need someone to compliment him.

Also, would you drop Alfonzo for Ginter?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby so0perspam » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:10 am

Phatferd wrote:would you drop Alfonzo for Ginter?

I wouldn't.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:12 am

what about for Belliard? The reason I took Fonzie was for his versatility.

Also, I can get Batista off the wire, should I drop Millwood for him?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby so0perspam » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:21 am

Phatferd wrote:what about for Belliard? The reason I took Fonzie was for his versatility.

Belliard and Alfonzo will put up very similar numbers next season, but I'd prefer Belliard because he is an on-the-rise player rather than on the downside of his career like Fonzie.

Also, I can get Batista off the wire, should I drop Millwood for him?

Miguel Batista? Ehhh, I'd stay put. Batista is an average closer at best. Millwood has flashes of brilliance, i.e. his no hitter vs. the Giants.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Phatferd » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:25 am

I agree, but Batista is a Closer and I have 1. Also, just scanning my leagues pool and Colon is available, I think Millwood is a poor man's Colon. I think I am going to use my waiver claim on Colon.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team