Bonds' surgery is good... for Bonds. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds' surgery is good... for Bonds.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bonds' surgery is good... for Bonds.

Postby quietstorm » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:31 pm

From "Prospectus Today":

BaseballProspectus wrote:I was going to write a bit about Barry Bonds, but Tom Gorman beat me to it. Suffice to say that Bonds is going to play a lot less in 2005 than he did in 2004. I wouldn't project him for more than 110 starts, which at the rate he walks, could mean fewer than 300 at-bats.

While this clearly has a major impact on the Giants' chances of winning the NL West, it also means that Bonds has virtually no chance to break Hank Aaron's home-run record this season. This is almost certainly good for him and for MLB, because the more time between this winter's ugliness and home-run #756, the greater the chance that it can be celebrated without reservation or innuendo. For as big an issue as steroids appear to be at the moment, in a year's time, the media--and certainly the government--will have moved on to other sensations.

I tend to agree. With Bonds' continual injuries, it seems like he won't be breaking the record this year. I'm not certain if he will ever break it (I think it would be nice to see him quit early, just to let Hank keep the record, though I know Bonds wouldn't do that), but, if he does, there is no worse time.

Next season, after a year of testing (with, I'd guess, 4-5 players being caught... I think it was something like 15-20 last year), the steroid controversy will have mostly disappeared. Sure, there will still be naysayers, but the casual fan won't really remember the steroid issues.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bonds' surgery is good... for Bonds.

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:35 pm

quietstorm wrote:From "Prospectus Today":

BaseballProspectus wrote:I was going to write a bit about Barry Bonds, but Tom Gorman beat me to it. Suffice to say that Bonds is going to play a lot less in 2005 than he did in 2004. I wouldn't project him for more than 110 starts, which at the rate he walks, could mean fewer than 300 at-bats.

While this clearly has a major impact on the Giants' chances of winning the NL West, it also means that Bonds has virtually no chance to break Hank Aaron's home-run record this season. This is almost certainly good for him and for MLB, because the more time between this winter's ugliness and home-run #756, the greater the chance that it can be celebrated without reservation or innuendo. For as big an issue as steroids appear to be at the moment, in a year's time, the media--and certainly the government--will have moved on to other sensations.

I tend to agree. With Bonds' continual injuries, it seems like he won't be breaking the record this year. I'm not certain if he will ever break it (I think it would be nice to see him quit early, just to let Hank keep the record, though I know Bonds wouldn't do that), but, if he does, there is no worse time.

Next season, after a year of testing (with, I'd guess, 4-5 players being caught... I think it was something like 15-20 last year), the steroid controversy will have mostly disappeared. Sure, there will still be naysayers, but the casual fan won't really remember the steroid issues.
steriods won't be gone withing a year..yes I think the problem is a bit blown outta porportion but still the problem won't be fixed that fast
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nikku88 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:44 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:
steriods won't be gone withing a year..yes I think the problem is a bit blown outta porportion but still the problem won't be fixed that fast

True. But baseball doesn't really have to get rid of steroids, they just have to make it look like they do. Look at the NFL, no steroid scandal, but even I don't believe that more baseball players take juice than football players.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quietstorm » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:57 pm

All you have to do is look at a player like David Boston. Everybody in the NFL claimed he took HGH. ESPN even wrote an article on it. Boston came out and admitted that he had taken HGH and various substances, after he was injured for the year.

Where was the outcry? Where was the uproar?

If nothing else, the NFL has made it clear that you only need to downplay the issue.

(Why isn't Congress getting into other sports, anyway?)
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:58 pm

nikku88 wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:

True. But baseball doesn't really have to get rid of steroids, they just have to make it look like they do. Look at the NFL, no steroid scandal, but even I don't believe that more baseball players take juice than football players.
kinda like when your a kid and when you cleaned your room you threw everything under the bed/in the closet ;-)
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby lesgrant » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:54 am

quietstorm wrote:All you have to do is look at a player like David Boston. Everybody in the NFL claimed he took HGH. ESPN even wrote an article on it. Boston came out and admitted that he had taken HGH and various substances, after he was injured for the year.

If nothing else, the NFL has made it clear that you only need to downplay the issue.

David Boston didn't break the biggest single season sports record in America nor is he on track to break the career mark.

Also, other sports actually have some sort of a policy that bans the obvious stuff. Baseball refuses to ban everything and adopt a zero tolerance policy for positive tests. Whether they can catch everyone at this point is irrelevant. Stiff penalites have to be in place first, then worry about catching the guilty.

MLB's penalties are really nothing at all. The exact language in the agreement is a suspension OR a fine of not more than $10,000. ie an offender could pay a $1 fine and never have his name disclosed to the public. At that rate, who cares if you get caught. Pay your dollar and keep using. :-t
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby -Slap- » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:24 am

"celebrated without reservation or innuendo"

That's rich. It will be castigated as a fraud by all but a fringe minority who prefer to live with their heads buried in the sand.

If there's any justice in the world, he'll never hit 714*.
Aaron 755
Ruth 714
Mays 660
Griffey 593
Robinson 586
Killebrew 573
Jackson 563
Schmidt 548
Mantle 536
Foxx 534
-Slap-
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:43 am

lesgrant wrote:
quietstorm wrote:All you have to do is look at a player like David Boston. Everybody in the NFL claimed he took HGH. ESPN even wrote an article on it. Boston came out and admitted that he had taken HGH and various substances, after he was injured for the year.

David Boston didn't break the biggest single season sports record in America nor is he on track to break the career mark.

Also, other sports actually have some sort of a policy that bans the obvious stuff. Baseball refuses to ban everything and adopt a zero tolerance policy for positive tests. Whether they can catch everyone at this point is irrelevant. Stiff penalites have to be in place first, then worry about catching the guilty.

MLB's penalties are really nothing at all. The exact language in the agreement is a suspension OR a fine of not more than $10,000. ie an offender could pay a $1 fine and never have his name disclosed to the public. At that rate, who cares if you get caught. Pay your dollar and keep using. :-t

so its ok to take steroids and suck???
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:55 am

Strasil42 wrote:
lesgrant wrote:

so its ok to take steroids and suck???

I don't think he was condoning it, just explaining why there was no outcry. What David Boston does is inconsequential. He was a great player, then he got huge and now he either sucks or can't stay healthy. Steroids don't greatly help a WR, they just make his biceps bigger.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby quietstorm » Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:03 am

Ahh... so who cares, as long as it doesn't affect performance? Pitchers can juice all they want!

Part of my point was connected to the parenthetical statement, too. One of the primary problems is that Congress doesn't really care unless it will result in publicity. Without Congress sticking their collective noses into this issue, the casual fan wouldn't have a clue what's going on. If Congress investigated football, people would be decrying the NFL as a 'roid-infested PoS.

I really doubt a lot of people will be concerned with Bonds when he breaks the record, if it's in '06 or beyond. This year, they would care. In the future, I doubt it. The average U.S. citizen has the attention span of a gnat on marijuana.
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers