Big keeper help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big keeper help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Big keeper help

Postby redsox34 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:56 pm

can someone give me some advice on drafting for a keeper. i got beltran and texeria in the 1st 2 rounds what direction do i take it in now. what r thoughts on burnett, beckett, peavy and harden they should all be there in the 3rd or 4th round. is it better to go young with a keeper?
redsox34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:02 pm

Is it better to go young with a keeper .... what's that mean? Go Michael Young or a young player. How many players do you keep? If there are two players with similar value, you obviously should take the younger one with more upside. Peavy is good in the 3rd ... the others would be too early for my taste.
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby redsox34 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:15 pm

thanks at least someone responds
redsox34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Apex » Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:25 pm

The advice I've heard is that you tend to draft like you would for a regular league, especially in the beginning. The exceptions would be that guys who are obviously near the end of their careers would go a little later. Later in the draft, you can start picking up the young prospects a little earlier than you normally would, and always take the younger guy if two players are otherwise even.

Remember, players like David Wright or Rich Harden MIGHT be superstars in a few years. If you draft them in the first round or two this year, though, you'll probably be in a world of hurt, and if they don't reach their full potential in a few years, you'll really be in sad shape.
Apex
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pablo975 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:36 pm

Yes, Apex is correct. Draft with an eye toward where your team will be a few years from now, but don't sacrifice your team THIS year to POSSIBLY win down the road.

If a guy like Sosa or Bonds or RJ are available in reasonable rounds, grab them. They'll help you NOW.

Grab guys like Harden, Wright, Beckett, but don't OVER grab for them. They might all take another year or two to pan out at all, much less be super studs.

Besides, for every Wright or Beckett you miss out on, some other kid will come up and be the hot rookie later this year and you might be able to utilize them.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby agchris02 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:19 pm

Beltran and big tex is a good start, keep drafting like you are and dont worry about keepers really right now (besides beltran and tex will be keeprs for the next five years minimum anyways), eye somone like M young or D jeter if you want a bat or Hudson or Rivera/Lidge if you want pitching in your next round (guesses but with who you got so far, they should be there)
Jackalope
agchris02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers