Congressional Steriod Meeting summary - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Congressional Steriod Meeting summary

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tavish » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:I don't konw if you guys heard him but MR. Serrano.. on the panel, had a great speach about basebal...I'd like to get a transcript...it was the best part of watching this garbage proceeding.

Pedro Cerrano wrote:Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

Was that the speech you were talking about?

Anyone who expecting anything more than ducking and dodging was bound for disappointment. I thought there was a chance for some fireworks until the House denied Canseco's request for immunity. When that was turned down there was no chance that anyone would answer any serious question straight out.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:26 am

McGwire looks extremely guilty to me. :-/ Refusing to answer any questions really hurt him. Basically classifies him as guilty to me after that performance. :-/

Palmeiro seemed downright mad. I believe him though. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pacman » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:16 am

I watched the final hour or so of the proeceedings, around 8-9 pm EST, and it was interesting. Selig, Alderson and Fehr took a lot of heat from the congressmen, who were basically saying that if baseball doesn't do MORE (toughen the testing policy) then the Congress will pass legislation. And really, the congressmen didn't sound like they were bluffing.

I think the papers this morning are focusing too much on what happened with McGwire and Sosa (which was nothing) and too little on what happened when MLB and the Players Union heads were nose to nose with the committee.
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:09 am

I think Schilling and Palmerio came off the best. McGwire the worst.
I didn't get to listen to all of it but here is how it sounded to me.

McGwire: I am retired so I can't comment on the present state of MLB/ I'm not here to talk about the past.

Canseco: I wrote a book. Check out my book. Did I mention I have a book?

Sosa: I agree with what he said. Or I will just mumble in broken English like I didn't understand the question.

I know a lot of Congress was getting on Schilling cause he didn't see it as a huge problem but he was just talking about what he saw and the % that tested postitive from the former policy. Congress seemed like they wanted him to take a guess without any evidence ala Canseco. The 2 things I liked about Schilling's testimony is that he said there should be an independant testing company with no strings attached to MLB and that the new policy hasn't even been in place for a season how do you know it isn't going to work. I the new policy doesn't work fix it.

Palmerio seemed the most genuine.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:45 am

McGwire is such a tool.

Not only did he do everything short of admitting steroid use but then he also breaks down crying?!?!

Not only should we take back any awards and records that he has ever received - we should also take back that Y chromosome as well. Freakin Mary.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:29 am

Come on guys, lets cut big mac some slack here. Lets say he did take Roids, do we want him to just come out and say it? This would cause public embarrassment, among other things...So, he doesn't want to lie about taking him so he pleads the fifth, nothing wronge with that in my opinion. Even if he did say that he didn't take steroids, you know there are still people out there that won't believe him.

but, whatever ;-7
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:33 am

kingctb27 wrote:Come on guys, lets cut big mac some slack here. Lets say he did take Roids, do we want him to just come out and say it? This would cause public embarrassment,

Oh no, God forbid that he cause a public embarrassment. Better that he refuse to answer and then start crying like a girl. :-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:12 pm

kingctb27 wrote:Come on guys, lets cut big mac some slack here. Lets say he did take Roids, do we want him to just come out and say it?
Yes.

This would cause public embarrassment, among other things...
I'm sorry if some people couldn't handle it but the truth is the truth.

So, he doesn't want to lie about taking him so he pleads the fifth, nothing wronge with that in my opinion. Even if he did say that he didn't take steroids, you know there are still people out there that won't believe him.
If he wanted to plead the 5th then he should have plead the 5th. I would respect that more than acting like he is there to help solve the problem but doesn't want to talk about it. :-°
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby ScreamingWeasel_fbc » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:28 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:If he wanted to plead the 5th then he should have plead the 5th. I would respect that more ...

I actually took a day off work yesterday (Thursday) to watch the live coverage.
Watched all 10 hours, switching from ESPN to ESPN2 to MSNBC and finally CSPAN to get it all.

My interest?
Mark McGwire is my favorite baseball player of the past 15 years.
The Sosa/McGwire homerun chase year single-handedly brought baseball back from the strike/no World Series year.
And I, like a whole lot of Americans (admit it), were glued to the chase.
It revived the entire game at a time when baseball was in danger of slipping to 3rd place behind the NFL and, yes, the NBA.

Yesterday.
McGwire broke my heart.
I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Baseball heros have been a big part of my life.
Beginning with Koufax, Drysdale, Mantle, Marris, Ford and Berra.

Unlike most of you, I'm 51 years old.

Laugh if you want.
But Mark McGwire let me down yesterday.
A guilty man.
A broken man.
Still trying to hang on.
And not doing the right thing.

Truly sad to see.
Sandy Koufax: [i]The Once And Future King[/i]
ScreamingWeasel_fbc Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:43 pm

ScreamingWeasel wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:If he wanted to plead the 5th then he should have plead the 5th. I would respect that more ...

I actually took a day off work yesterday (Thursday) to watch the live coverage.
Watched all 10 hours, switching from ESPN to ESPN2 to MSNBC and finally CSPAN to get it all.

My interest?
Mark McGwire is my favorite baseball player of the past 15 years.
The Sosa/McGwire homerun chase year single-handedly brought baseball back from the strike/no World Series year.
And I, like a whole lot of Americans (admit it), were glued to the chase.
It revived the entire game at a time when baseball was in danger of slipping to 3rd place behind the NFL and, yes, the NBA.

Yesterday.
McGwire broke my heart.
I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Baseball heros have been a big part of my life.
Beginning with Koufax, Drysdale, Mantle, Marris, Ford and Berra.

Unlike most of you, I'm 51 years old.

Laugh if you want.
But Mark McGwire let me down yesterday.
A guilty man.
A broken man.
Still trying to hang on.
And not doing the right thing.

Truly sad to see.

Nice to see you over here SW.

I agree with your comment about the McWire/Sosa chase bringing baseball back for a lot of people. Both guys did a lot for baseball back then.

Unlike you though I am not so much sad as I am angry and embarrassed.

First we find that Sosa has been corking and is a cheater. Then he turns into a bit of a jerk.

Now McWire all but admits taking roids and puts on that shameful display.

I am angry that the chase was probably a big sham perpetuated by a pair of cheaters who fooled us all.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk