Triple Crown? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Triple Crown?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pacman » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:40 am

wrveres wrote:Sean Casey :-°

Casey's my man! Sean was great for me last year. I came out of my draft one bat short for some reason (basically, a good hitter for my utility slot) and picked up Casey as a FA early in the season. He really put up terrific numbers! And when Thome was nicked-up, I shifted Case into the 1B slot.

Anyway, he'll never win a triple crown, but he sure was great guy for my '04 squad. ;-D
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pablo975 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:58 pm

I'd agree with all the possible candidates you guys have listed.....they're all capable of doing it....well, maybe not Sean Casey......it's just a matter of hits falling in, runners being on base, and that extra couple of deep fly balls juuuuuust scraping the back of the fence.

My question is this.....in the the 38 years since Yaz won the Triple Crown, which player or players have come the closest to winning it?

I can't think of anyones' specific stats of the top of my head, but surely someone has been within a few hits or dingers of doing it....anyone care to pick up the research gauntlet?

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:24 pm

LBJackal wrote:I can see Pujols or Vlad doing it. The others won't have a good enough BA.

As much as I hate looking like a homer, I agree with Jackal. Vlad is the only guy in the AL with a realistic chance to lead in HR and RBI and stay close to Ichiro for AVG. The only guy in the NL who has a realistic shot outside of Pujols is maybe Bonds, but I don't think he will have the RBIs. I think Pujols will win at least one before he's done though, since he is still relatively young and hopefully still improving.
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:51 pm

I can't think of anyones' specific stats of the top of my head, but surely someone has been within a few hits or dingers of doing it....anyone care to pick up the research gauntlet?

One thing to remeber is that Yaz didn't even win the Triple Crown outright in 67, he tied with Killebrew in HRs that season. Dick Allen was probably the closest in 1972. He finished about 6 hits shy of leading in BA and won the other 2 categories. There are not many others who have even finished top 3 in each category since Yaz. Billy Williams in 72, Belle in 94 and 98, Jim Rice and Dave Parker in 78, Walker in 97, Bichette in 95, and Bagwell in 94 (I probably am missing a few more recent ones. I don't think Pujols or Bonds ever accomplished this but don't quote me on that).

As I said earlier, it depends just much on how the rest of the league is as it does on how good a season the player has. There were tons of great seasons in the 70s and 80s that really never had a shot at winning a Triple Crown thanks to the likes of dinkers like Gwynn, Boggs, and Carew or mashers like Reggie, Schmidt, and Kingman.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby HOOTIE » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:56 pm

Very hard to do. I don't see it happening anytime soon. Pujols would be my choice, but with Bonds and Helton, average is very questionable.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers