HOLDS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HOLDS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HOLDS

Postby bluefire7 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:28 am

does anyone have a comprehensive list of team setup men good for holds ranked? :-? this would be REAL helpful.. thanks =)
bluefire7
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:32 am

This will capture most of the major players. As for rankings, try CBS or Rotochamps.

http://www.theinsidepitch.com/closers.html
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bluefire7 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:38 am

wow EXTREMELY helpful! thank you soo much :-)
bluefire7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:42 am

Rotochamps has them ranked based on projections which generally tend to be too high imo, but they give an idea at least:

http://rotochamps.com/modules.php?name= ... bmode=desc
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Q » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:42 am

This was recently discussed in another thread, here was my evaluation...

Here are the leaders from last year and how I think they will do this year:

Gordon, Tom NYY 36: He will get a good amount of holds again but I think it will be more around the high 20s. His ERA will also be in the mid 3s as he had a very lucky year with hit percentages and a much lower walk rate than normal.
Otsuka, Akinori SD 34: A repeat is expected here with great numbers across the board.
King, Ray STL 32: The St. Louis pitching staff and bullpen will not have nearly the same luck with hit percentage and strand rate as they did last year. Especially now that Renteria's range is gone. He should record around 20 but with less spactacular numbers.
Reitsma, Chris ATL 31: Another expected repeat as he is the top setup man with good skills.
Mota, Guillermo FLA 30: Became the closer, so unless they trade for someone else or he gets knocked down do not expect any.
Torres, Salomon PIT 30: Mike Gonzalez was the primary setup man by the end of the year. Don't expect Torres to get much more than 10 as he does not have the primary job or that great of a skill set.
Cormier, Rheal PHI 28: He will get a decent amount but most of his holds were recorded when Wagner was out and Worrell was the closer. When Wagner is healthy Worrell is the primary setup man.
Linebrink, Scott SD 28: A repeat here is also likely. Good skill set and primary setup man.
Jones, Todd FLA 27: Jones had an abnormally good year but there is no indication that he will hold on to the setup job or perform at a good level.
Rodriguez, Francisco 27: Another case of being promoted to the closer.

As for this year the top holds pitchers (setup men) are definately Mike Gonzalez, Aknori Otsuka, LaTroy Hawkins, Brendan Donnelly, Scott Linebrink, Rafeal Betancourt, David Riske, Tom Gordon and Chris Reitsma in that order. Gonzalez is the guy you would probably want to target the most since he has the best stuff and could very easily become the closer soon. You want to look for guys that have ridiculous skill sets and all but Linebrink and Reitsma from that list have great skill sets, especially Gonzalez and Batencourt. Linebrink and Reitsma have good skill sets but they are high up because they will get the majority of the teams holds. These are the type of guys that get closers jobs when the closer faulters so their value is even higher.

I took Gonzalez in round 12 of a league with Holds as a category because theorectially holds are just as valuable as saves but they are easier to find and thats why setup men go later.
Q
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Jury » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:31 am

bluefire7 wrote:wow EXTREMELY helpful! thank you soo much :-)

Could you explain to me how that link is extremely helpful for the Holds category? Thanks.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fool42 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:55 am

[quote="The Jury"][quote="bluefire7"]wow EXTREMELY helpful! thank you soo much :-)[/quote]

Could you explain to me how that link is extremely helpful for the Holds category? Thanks.[/quote]

Next in line = set up guy = holds
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Q » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:37 pm

Exactly, "next in line" equals holds. You want to get the best pitchers of "next in line."

Those rotochamps projections are really off for who will actually get a good number of holds. K-Rod gets 27 as the Angels primary setup man last year. This year they project just 7 for the new primary setup man in Anaheim with close to K-Rod's skills? There are many other omissions on that list too.
Q
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:40 pm

Q wrote:Exactly, "next in line" equals holds. You want to get the best pitchers of "next in line."

Those rotochamps projections are really off for who will actually get a good number of holds. K-Rod gets 27 as the Angels primary setup man last year. This year they project just 7 for the new primary setup man in Anaheim with close to K-Rod's skills? There are many other omissions on that list too.

I think that's because they assumed Shields would be setting up...that's why I drafted him in one of my leagues anyway. :,-(

Thanks goodness I got Brazoban...but I will lose all those K's from Shields if I don't use him.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Q » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:26 pm

Well they contradict themselves with Scott Shields in that projection. They Project that he will pitch 119 innings. To pitch that many innings that means the pitchers is a spot starter for injured pitchers and a long reliever. They do not get holds. Donnelly is the setup man in Anaheim. K-Rod, Shields and Donnelly combined for 49 holds last year while this year they have Shields and Donnelly getting just 34.
Q
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers