Commish League SeTup ?-- PLEASE HELP -- ADVICE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Commish League SeTup ?-- PLEASE HELP -- ADVICE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Commish League SeTup ?-- PLEASE HELP -- ADVICE

Postby jice028 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:12 pm

:-o
jice028
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:50 am

?
What exactly do you need help with?
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

thats what i need help with

Postby jice028 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:54 am

nikku88 wrote:?
What exactlyHdo you need help with?

hello my name is Joey and I am the commissioner of my fantasy baseball league on CBS sportsline. It is my 3rd year doing this but instead of a typical 5x5 roto draft I am making a salary cap this year. Basically, I am keeping all the rules the same. It still is going to be a 5x5 roto ( avg, rbi, hr, sb, r, whip, era, w, s, k's). However, I am introducing a salary cap of $300. that has to be maintained throughout the year. We will be drafting 24 or 25 players in a typical snake draft. Also I will be using a standardized dollar value sheet, still yet to find a good one, any suggestions? Versus auctioning. There are at least 10 teams as of now with hope to add up to 12 or 14 but it is still up in the air.
So the questions i pose to you are:
1. Do u recommend any dollar value sheets that I can obtain via net with the most up to date pricing? So I can give to the managers ahead of time to make them get a feel how much each player is worth.

2. What do I do with free agents picked up on the wire through out the season, remember $300. has to be maintained. How much would free agents be after the draft throughout the season? Should each be valued at a certain amount according to what it states in a book or sheet, Or for example any player under $18. just be $5. or less?

3. Any input u can give me or recommend another way to run a salary cap league

I am striving to achieve a more competitive and strategic league versus a best player available one.

Thank you.
jice028
College Coach
College Coach

Re: thats what i need help with

Postby TheYanks04 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:03 am

jice028 wrote:
nikku88 wrote:?
What exactlyHdo you need help with?

hello my name is Joey and I am the commissioner of my fantasy baseball league on CBS sportsline. It is my 3rd year doing this but instead of a typical 5x5 roto draft I am making a salary cap this year. Basically, I am keeping all the rules the same. It still is going to be a 5x5 roto ( avg, rbi, hr, sb, r, whip, era, w, s, k's). However, I am introducing a salary cap of $300. that has to be maintained throughout the year. We will be drafting 24 or 25 players in a typical snake draft. Also I will be using a standardized dollar value sheet, still yet to find a good one, any suggestions? Versus auctioning. There are at least 10 teams as of now with hope to add up to 12 or 14 but it is still up in the air.
So the questions i pose to you are:
1. Do u recommend any dollar value sheets that I can obtain via net with the most up to date pricing? So I can give to the managers ahead of time to make them get a feel how much each player is worth.

2. What do I do with free agents picked up on the wire through out the season, remember $300. has to be maintained. How much would free agents be after the draft throughout the season? Should each be valued at a certain amount according to what it states in a book or sheet, Or for example any player under $18. just be $5. or less?

3. Any input u can give me or recommend another way to run a salary cap league

I am striving to achieve a more competitive and strategic league versus a best player available one.

Thank you.

The ever popular fake auction...(not really). In any event. Use the Rototimes valuations. A standard just about anyone can live with even if you do not like the projections. All players gettheir values assigned by either last year numbers or 2005 projections depending on which you want to use.

As to free agents, all undrafted players are by definition $1. No one wanted the player before the seaosn and $1 is min bid so $1 is the free agent's value. CBS can handle this, no problem.

Trading is handled best imo by instituting an upper limit somewhere aboveyour cap at say $350 for a team. If you try to restrict it to the $300, it will make deals next to impossible to execuate as you have to have exact dollar matches.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

ok. what about?

Postby jice028 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:10 am

Interesting, thank you.
However at the rototimes dollar value setup, what do i choose for hitting/pitching split(eg.160:80 etc..)????

Also i am a lil unsure how the the upper limit would go, can u elaborate more on it?

sorry to be a pain but i want to fully understand everything.
Thank you.
jice028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:22 am

As to tthe limits:
If you have a $300 salary during the auction, there is no easy way to do trades and stay under that during the season. Matching up salaries to the dollar is near impossible. You set a limit above the cap at say $350 that no team's roster can exceed during the year. So if someone trades a $10 Huff for a $30 Thome it is OK...one teams budget salary goes to $320 and the other to $280. Otherwise, if you wanted to trade a $30 Thome you would have to find an equalivalent $30 player elsewhere. Or trade for a $25 dollar player and a $6 player while cutting one of your $1 players to balance out the cost. That is just too much of a pain in the butt to deal with and is simply no fun. You need to set a limit that allows for trading but that restricts owners from going nuts and loading up on salary in a pennant push. Where you want to draw the line above the $300 is up to you.

Hitting pitching splits depends on what you like. It does not end up being that signigificant a difference between 170/90 and 180/80 in values to really worry too much about.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

I see

Postby jice028 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:56 am

Thank you THE YANKS.
I appreciate ur time.
U helped a lot.

On a lighter note, "I will tell you that i cannot tell u anything" - SOSA

Im a Yank fan as well being bronx born. here here

jOey
jice028
College Coach
College Coach

RotoTimes?

Postby jice028 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:29 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:As to tthe limits:
If you have a $300 salary during the auction, there is no easy way to do trades and stay under that during the season. Matching up salaries to the dollar is near impossible. You set a limit above the cap at say $350 that no team's roster can exceed during the year. So if someone trades a $10 Huff for a $30 Thome it is OK...one teams budget salary goes to $320 and the other to $280. Otherwise, if you wanted to trade a $30 Thome you would have to find an equalivalent $30 player elsewhere. Or trade for a $25 dollar player and a $6 player while cutting one of your $1 players to balance out the cost. That is just too much of a pain in the butt to deal with and is simply no fun. You need to set a limit that allows for trading but that restricts owners from going nuts and loading up on salary in a pennant push. Where you want to draw the line above the $300 is up to you.

Hitting pitching splits depends on what you like. It does not end up being that signigificant a difference between 170/90 and 180/80 in values to really worry too much about.

Hey I checked Rototimes, 2004 and 2005 projected values. There seem to be a lot of negative values (eg. Machoviak -$14.32), how do i incorprate them into the salary cap of ech team? By making them negatives? I dont quite grasp that, many many good guys for negative prices.
thanks.
joey
jice028
College Coach
College Coach

Re: RotoTimes?

Postby TheYanks04 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:40 pm

jice028 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:As to tthe limits:

Hey I checked Rototimes, 2004 and 2005 projected values. There seem to be a lot of negative values (eg. Machoviak -$14.32), how do i incorprate them into the salary cap of ech team? By making them negatives? I dont quite grasp that, many many good guys for negative prices.
thanks.
joey

That is because Rototimes has them finishing at less than the avg for the league roster size as determined by whatever formula they use. Rototimes tends to undervalue Cs, esp. if you play in 2C leagues for instance...it has no way to factor that in obviously.

You have a couple of options for players that are messed up in their valuations (and there are always a few).

1. You assign all negative players a $1 value...i.e. min bid.
2. You do one above but pull out those players you think are badly valued and assign something yourself you or your league feel is reasonable.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers