White Sox' Thomas denies steroid use - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

White Sox' Thomas denies steroid use

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

White Sox' Thomas denies steroid use

Postby WebHamster » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:00 pm

Tucson, AZ (Sports Network) - A day before he is to testify in front of Congress in regards to steroid use in Major League Baseball, Chicago White Sox slugger Frank Thomas released an advance copy of his prepared statement on Wednesday and in it denied ever using steroids.

Thomas, who will testify via video conferencing from the White Sox' spring training site, also said that he believed the league and players' association have done the right thing by strengthening the policy on drug testing. He also said that the policy is "...a very good first step..." in eliminating steroid use.

The following is Thomas' statement as released by the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday evening:

"Good morning, Mr. Chairman and Members of the Committee. I want to thank the Chairman and the Ranking member for allowing me to make this statement. My name is Frank Thomas and I am a baseball player for the Chicago White Sox -- a team I am proud to have been part of since joining Major League Baseball in 1989.

First of all, Mr. Chairman, let me say that as an outspoken critic of steroids, I would like to work with this Committee, Major League Baseball, and the Players' Association to warn everyone -- especially young people -- about the dangers of performance enhancing drugs. Steroids are dangerous and the public should be educated about them, and in particular, parents should make sure their children are aware that steroids can be bad for their health.

I also believe the League and the Players' Association have done the right thing by reopening our collective bargaining agreement and strengthening our policy on drug testing. I support this new policy as a very good first step in eliminating steroid use from the sport I love.

I have been a major league ballplayer for 15 years. Throughout my career, I have not used steroids. Ever.

Thank you, Mr. Chairman and Members of the Committee."
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 482)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates