Fantasy’s Best First Baseman - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Fantasy’s Best First Baseman

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Fantasy’s Best First Baseman

Postby Arlo » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:43 am

Jamey Feuer continues his position-by-position analysis with what might well be fantasy's deepest position: first base. Pujols, Helton, Thome ... to say that there's certainly an abundance of talent at 1B would be quite an understatement.

Join Jamey as he examines this year's fantasy standouts!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby EricF » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:00 am

There certainly is an abundance of talent at 1B. Assuming I pick up a stud 1B early, in terms of securing someone for the UT spot, would I be better off taking someone off this great 1B list, or is there more talent at OF positions I should be targeting?
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:19 am

Another well written article. ;-D

LaRoche? Really? Hmm.....guess I need to go brush up on him. He's gone undrafted in several league drafts that I've seen. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby EricF » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:59 am

LaRoche will be sharing some time with Julio Franco, though. Not knowing when he will play, I'll look at other 1B candidates.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

RE: laRoche and Utility Payer

Postby jameeman » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:58 pm

You're quite right about LaRoche splitting time w/ Julio Franco. That being said however, Franco IS in his mid 40's, played in the Mexican league... or Venezuelan league... during the winter, and even an ironman like he will be bound to tire or breakdown at some point. Further, I do think Atlanta will try and get LaRoche as many AB's as possible due to the fact that HE'S the future at 1st, not Franco.
As far as a Utility player goes... there are far more OF'ers capable of filling the bill then power hitting, solid RBI 1st Baggers. You may be better served grabbing a possible sleeper like Jermaine Dye for instance, who's both primed for a bounce back year AND will go later in most drafts than he should. There are also guys like Matt Holiday and Rios floating about who'll fill your Flex slot quite well. Be flexible in your draft however. It's hard to stick to a plan when there's a sudden run on Closers... or all the top Shortstops start to fly off the board.

Good Luck!
jameeman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

First Base / DH

Postby pops » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:01 am

Can Adrian Gonzalez be a super sleeper and the next Albert Pujols? Hopefully Texas realizes he's the best defensive first baseman they have, miles ahead of any other DH hopeful and hiting up a storm this spring. Comments please. Pops
pops Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Re: First Base / DH

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:21 pm

pops wrote:Can Adrian Gonzalez be a super sleeper and the next Albert Pujols? Hopefully Texas realizes he's the best defensive first baseman they have, miles ahead of any other DH hopeful and hiting up a storm this spring. Comments please. Pops

The next Pujols? No. Adrian does not have the power Pujols has. He could hit for high average, be in a great lineup, and hit a few homers thanks to the Ballpark in Arlington (yeah, I know, Ameriquest Field :-P ), but he's not got the power Pujols has.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Article Discussions