H. Street? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H. Street?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tlef316 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:44 am

the guy has above average stuff and a terrific make-up. but like others said, he's very young and we've only seen a small sample of what he can actually do. there's a big diference between closing for texas university and getting through garrett anderson, vlad guerrero and steve finley in the 9th. not saying he's gonna fail, but to say he is gonna walk into MLB and pitch lights out because you saw him dominate in college is not very smart.

Setup this year, maybe gets a chance to close down the stretch if the A's are out of it. Dotel will be gone by next winter. then maybe he gets his shot.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:45 am

RynMan wrote:And seriously, you cannot bring up spring training stats....that really is no basis for an argument. Jolbert Cabrera was amongst the league leaders last year in spring training for HR's. Come on now.

Jolbert Cabrera... lol... I like the name.

For whatever it's worth, someone has him in my new league, too, but it's more of a dynasty league. Still, they have him on their Active Roster, and I would think he's still someone to stash on your Minors Roster to bring up next year or the year after when he finally gets his shot.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby hawgvike » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:09 am

that contrast with ryan wagner was more of an attempt to say that street has more of a closer mentality than wagner. im not so much that high on street b/c of his stuff but moreso his makeup. thats what separates the great ones from the rest when it comes to saving ball games. i dont think wagner (even though he's been sharper this ST) has that closer mentality he needs to go out there consistently and perform.

yeah, he could start out in the minors but clearly people must be thinking thats not the case if over 90% of espn leagues are scooping him up (atleast i know im not crazy.) and, yes, calero could start out closing for them if dotel does get traded, but the a's management and everyone who follows fantasy know they drafted huston to close, not set up. on the other hand, it would be interesting to see what they would do if someone else, like a calero, had success if dotel was traded.
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dans » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:56 am

I'm sorry but how can you comment on someone's makeup before they make one pitch in a major league game? People used to say Rick Ankiel had great make up coming through the system - its waaayyy to early to make a statement like that.
Dans
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby tlef316 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:05 am

Dans wrote:I'm sorry but how can you comment on someone's makeup before they make one pitch in a major league game? People used to say Rick Ankiel had great make up coming through the system - its waaayyy to early to make a statement like that.

im just going on scouting reports that say his make-up is "off the charts" I wish i had a link to it, but i dont. But yeah, you're right. i guess we really dont know. i think most of these comments stem from his success in college, very quick movement through the minors and the job he did closing in the AAA playoffs.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hawgvike » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:10 am

how do i know he has exceptional makeup? seriously, i think u need to read that article i linked in this thread on his ability to close out games in high pressure situations and how he's been doing that his entire career. on ankiel: im gonna go out on a real limb and say he's probably not going to pull an ankiel and start hitting the backstop on a nightly basis.
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tlef316 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:29 am

hawgvike wrote:how do i know he has exceptional makeup? seriously, i think u need to read that article i linked in this thread on his ability to close out games in high pressure situations and how he's been doing that his entire career. on ankiel: im gonna go out on a real limb and say he's probably not going to pull an ankiel and start hitting the backstop on a nightly basis.

although i agree that he has a great makeup by all accounts, its totally foolish to assume that he will make a totally seemless transition to closing out major league games. they are called the major leagues for a reason. its the best talent in the world. Im not saying you are definetly wrong, becuase i believe in the kid. However, you lose your credibility by saying he is sure thing just because he dominated as an amateur and in the minors.

Some college players are like 5'8, 175. Most of the guys he faced at Texas will be playing Low A ball this year or even teaching HS gym class(not that there is anything remotely wrong with that) The fact is, you dont know what he is gonna do. nobody does. as a result, its wise to assume he may struggle early and take a while to develop as a Major league pitcher. Guys like Blalock, Teixiera, Soriano, Michael Young, Vlad, Beltre and Sexson couldnt care less about how he dominated baylor, oklahoma and texas A&M. Its not even remotely the same.

He's 21, give him time
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rscharnell » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:34 am

I graduated from UT and saw Huston Street pitch in the College World Series twice. This kid does have "it". He will be a great closer/set-up man.......BUT for those of you taking him on your active roster this year have bigger problems. He is fighting for the last bullpen spot and thats just b/c of Bradford injury. Give him a year, there are guy left that will help you more than Street this year.

With that said, if I could buy stock or bet on Streets future, I would wager a years salary.
rscharnell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Juhlz » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:03 pm

hawgvike wrote:how do i know he has exceptional makeup? seriously, i think u need to read that article i linked in this thread on his ability to close out games in high pressure situations and how he's been doing that his entire career. on ankiel: im gonna go out on a real limb and say he's probably not going to pull an ankiel and start hitting the backstop on a nightly basis.

He hasn't seen real pressure yet, let me assure you of that, I am a UT fan and hope he succeeds. I think there is a lesson to be learned in this thread and I think we may be witnessing the makings of "The Fan II" based on the true story...of a man in a really, really, really, really deep fantasy baseball league who dreamed that somebody he could own Huston Street and get a lot of saves, then turn to the world and say you're all ignorant, I told you na nanana. But then a twist of fate occurred when Street was trumped by a newcomer from OSU and even stole Street's lucky number from him...THEN a boy named hawgvike freaked out and killed every student at OSU.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hawgvike » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:26 pm

actually, i started replying on this thread when i got hammered last night here in college so i said some pretty outlandish things, haha. yeah, give him a year, he'll be aight.
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers