H. Street? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H. Street?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:12 am

Sticky Spice wrote:Maybe Hawgvike was going his best Michael Jackson imitation.

"anyone who doesn't think Street will close for the A's is just ignorant"

<crotch grab>

<moonwalk>

"it's just ignorant."

Stop being ignorant! /southpark
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:29 am

hawgvike wrote:i dont really get the michael jackson joke, might wanna work on your jokes dog, but i know that some people arent as high on him as i am but ive pretty much followed him since he's been in college. kid's a stud--better than any recent reliever prospect i can think of who rose through the system from low A to AAA in a half season and is ready for the majors as early as April 3. i understand that people just dont know about him now, but midway through this season people will be going crazy over acquiring him.

just thought i'd be the first to let everyone know...those who arent in dynasty leagues that is...

If you don't get my joke you are just ignorant! ;-)

I'm assuming you are a really young guy because you sound pretty inexperienced. Yes, it's possible that from the outset Huston Street (sp?) will be good - maybe even good enough to close. But for the overwhelming majority of pitchers, equally as hyped and talented as Street, they don't immediately succeed. Even more rare is a team that is willing to throw a guy with minimal ML experience into the very crucial role of closer, even guys as talented as your dreamboat.

I think that would be even more shocking would be to see the A's trust a rook to close. But looking at their situation maybe it's possible.

Hey brandnew - Jairo better get on the ball then. Hasn't he already designated for assignment?

Poke - you do understand that south park was just spoofing something MJ actually said/says, right? Just making sure you weren't correcting me :-b
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby so0perspam » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:29 am

RynMan wrote:Dude, chill. Im a huge A's fan but you are saying way too much about Street way too early. Considering Street hasnt thrown ONE PITCH in the majors, and you are already saying he will be the A's closer this year. You are kidding yourself. Considering the only reason he WON'T be in triple A this year is because Chad Bradford is getting back surgery, I think to say he will be the closer is ignorant. If by saying sometime soon you mean next year or the one after, possibly. But to start the season no way. At the deadline, possibly.

And seriously, you cannot bring up spring training stats....that really is no basis for an argument. Jolbert Cabrera was amongst the league leaders last year in spring training for HR's. Come on now.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better myself.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Pokeyouindaeye » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:43 am

Poke - you do understand that south park was just spoofing something MJ actually said/says, right? Just making sure you weren't correcting me :-b

I know. Just seeing whether anybody else would get the reference, although it's hard to get the voice they use down in words. That was a great episode.

Ja'mon!
Yes, I was, uh... I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape... about the college girls and the... the wild... the wildness. They're going wild or something? Somebody told me... about going wild.
-Larry David
Pokeyouindaeye
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby hawgvike » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:48 am

inexperienced? dude, my league is deeper than any thought you've ever engaged in when it comes to evaluating up-and-coming talent such as street in this thread.

i dont care that he's young.

i dont care that he's never thrown a pitch in mlb.

i dont care that you think he wont close in oaktown this season.

all i care about is the fact that he's never failed on any sort of level. he's never had an ERA over 2.00 on any level of ball. this isnt another ryan wagner--this guy is for real.
hawgvike
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:04 am

If Dotel is traded Calero will be the closer, not Street.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:18 am

Now up to 91.2% ownership.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:20 am

hawgvike wrote:inexperienced? dude, my league is deeper than any thought you've ever engaged in when it comes to evaluating up-and-coming talent such as street in this thread.

i dont care that he's young.

i dont care that he's never thrown a pitch in mlb.

i dont care that you think he wont close in oaktown this season.

all i care about is the fact that he's never failed on any sort of level. he's never had an ERA over 2.00 on any level of ball. this isnt another ryan wagner--this guy is for real.

I think he means inexperienced in how you talk/react to things. I doubt you being in a big league has anything to do what what he said. Your taking things way to personal, even the most talented of prospects fail and don't come through when everyone thinks they will. The matter is your basically not considering that at all, and most people who have been around a while (or experienced) would always take that into account. To me that is all he meant by that, calm down some.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:23 am

Which is higher than Putz who would be in line to close if Guardado's arm falls off.
Last edited by TheYanks04 on Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:23 am

How is he not the next Ryan Wagner? How do you know this? He's pitched no more than 13 innings at any level other than college. Why in the world would you think that's a good representation of how good he is? Wagner was much more dominant than Street in college, and was drafted a lot higher too (14th overall vs 40th). I think you're over-reacting to a guy who won't make an impact for at minimum another year.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers