Adios Sanchez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Adios Sanchez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adios Sanchez

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:57 am

Early reports on local radio are saying that Alex Sanchez has been released.

How will this affect the Tigers? Will this send a serious message that lazy error-prone play won't be tolerated? Will Monroe play CF until Granderson or Logan are ready to play full time? That won't help their D any.

Do they now look to find a 3B and move Inge to CF? I would love to see them make a trade to the Phillies for Placido Polanco or Lamb from Houston.

Your thoughs, my Tiger brethren?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:20 pm

A trade would be nice, only if we didn't give up too much. I don't know how easily Polanco could be obtained as long as David Bell isn't in perfect health. I just don't much like Mike Lamb. I really can't think of too many CF or 3B I'd like to see brought here. What about Jeff DaVanon? The Angels have a glut of guys like him who will battle for DH time. DaVanon can play CF and has posted very, very nice OBP over the past couple of seasons.

What about Marlon Byrd or Jason Michaels of Philadelphia? Byrd would probably be more costly and he struggled last year. Michaels puts up nice numbers when he plays, but has never really been a full time guy. There are probably some decent players out there who may/may not be available while they don't currently fit into their teams starting lineups.

My vote barring any trades is for Nook Logan. He can flat out fly and cover some ground in the vast Comerica CF. They say he can't hit, but let him prove it first. Check his numbers last year and so far this spring. It's a small sample size, but let him prove otherwise. I like Monroe, but he's not exactly an ideal CF.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:12 am

I basically agree with mc. Go Nook - thats the easiest scenario. I could care less about how well he hits. If he can mature enough to control CF, that would be ideal - but its a tall order for a young guy who hasent exactly impressed when given the opportunity. Fingers are crossed I guess.

Tram said they werent going to trade right away, but then again, Im sure if the right opportunity presented itself DD wouldnt hesitate. The Tigers need a good start if they want to challenge for the division - they play a lot of divisional games early.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:39 am

DDs take

"His speed might not allow him to catch a couple balls that somebody else may," Dombrowski said of Monroe, "but he'll fundamentally play well. And if all of a sudden, you say there are a half-dozen balls that fall during the season that somebody else may have gotten, I will grant you that.

"But then you also may say, what other center fielder might hit 25 home runs and knock in 90 [runs], and does that justify those six balls being caught? Well, in my estimation, the answer is yes, because it's a situation where you win more games that way.

"There will be some times that somebody will look out there and say, 'Gee, somebody with more speed may have caught that ball,'" Dombrowski continued. "But when they hit the three-run homer to win the game, nobody says, 'Well, he wouldn't be in the lineup if he wasn't playing there at this time.'"
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:55 am

Sounds like DD is making a pitch for Monroe. But I think they will have to give Nook a serious look. I can see the ideal situation being White continuing to rip the ball, Nook not embarrassing himself at the plate, and Monroe hitting like he did after the all-star break last season. Then dealing White for pitcher or 3B.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:10 pm

I did not like Sanchez in the least, but as much as I like Monroe, I just don't know if I like him in CF. Monroe is a corner outfielder, bottom line. He's certainly deserving of a chance to play center though until he shows he can't. The front office seems to be in love with Monroe, so I think he'll get the greatest chance to play CF.

But then there's the side I'm on and that's to play Nook. Nook Logan has yet to show that he can't hit in limited duty between last season and this spring. In these stints, he's shown plate discipline that he never showed in the minors. In fact, he almost looks like a pretty decent leadoff hitter. My opinion has always been instead of assuming someone can't do something, make them prove it. Everyone says Nook can't hit, but in limited duty, he has shown nothing to say that he can't be in the everyday lineup.

I have nothing against Monroe and I like him a lot, but I feel Nook could fit very well into this situation. Either way, we may be better off without Sanchez starting. He clearly was not in the long term plans and was nothing more than a fill in until Granderson or somebody better came along. We'll just have to find out. And you never know, Rondell White could still be on the block and we could end up with both Nook Logan and Monroe in the OF. Or even get a CF via trade. Should be interesting to see what comes of all this.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby cmchampa2 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:50 pm

This certainly ensures Monroe of getting his at bats this season. Even if he backs up all 3 OF spots, he'll be playing pretty much every day. White and Maggs will need their days off.
I'm not just the president of the Cornbread Maxwell Fan Club, I'm also the only member.
cmchampa2
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Detroit Tigers