any word on craig wilson at catcher? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

any word on craig wilson at catcher?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

any word on craig wilson at catcher?

Postby squirtle » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:22 am

our league has a five game eligibility requirement...any word on if wilson is gonna get some time at catcher this year?
squirtle
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:34 am

Not a lot of replies here, but it gets to the point. :-/

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=103034
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:46 am

Im positive there aer better options than Craig Wilson regardless of what position you are trying to fill. His reputation is built on being hot for two months last yr - thats it. The rest of the time he was as bad as any player in the league and certainly not fantasy worthy.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:03 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Im positive there aer better options than Craig Wilson regardless of what position you are trying to fill. His reputation is built on being hot for two months last yr - thats it. The rest of the time he was as bad as any player in the league and certainly not fantasy worthy.

Exactly...once pitchers realized he was the incarnation of Pedro Cerrano, it was over for him. The guy can't hit anything that breaks or is off-speed away from the plate. That's the way he struck out so many times last year after May.

He'll still probably hit a bunch of homers, but I could see his average being .260 this year easily. :-t
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:22 am

Mercer Boy wrote:He'll still probably hit a bunch of homers, but I could see his average being .260 this year easily. :-t

I think you are being generous with that .260 BA. I dont think he will hit .250. He batted .264 last yr, but that was seriously inflated by April and May when he hit over .350 both of those months. The rest of the yr he stuggled to crack .250 in any other month - succeeding only in July with a .255.

I dont mean to put down PIT fans are fans of Wilson, but I want to make sure people who read this and are thinking about drafting him really go and take a look at his numbers from last yr. I dont know any other way to say it: he is not a fantasy worthy player - not as your C, not as your 1B, not on your bench, not in a car, not on a plane, not on a boat, not in the rain. :-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:55 pm

I think you have to be VERY careful about drawing conclusions like this based on 4 months of hitting. All hitters go into slumps. It's not like last year was Wilson's first year. The guy has more than 1,500 plate appearances over 4 years. I'll take 4 years of data over 1,500 plate appearances thay indicate he's a .270/.360/.500 hitter over 3-4 months of data covering 300 plate apperances that show him to be a .240/.320/.450 hitter.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mbuser » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:02 pm

yeah while he is not ready to enter the upper eschelon by any means, i think you are being a little harsh on him. considering last year was his first full major league season (fatigue?) and he has hit .264, .262, and .264 in the past 3, i don't think he is quite as worthless as you are saying. he may not be a .300 hitter, but i would be very surprised if he hits much less than .269 career average this year
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Baseball Leftovers