Same Players/ Different Leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Same Players/ Different Leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Same Players/ Different Leagues?

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:34 am

How do you guys approach different teams? Do you prefer picking different guys in different leagues or are you targeting the same players in each draft.

I was 7/10 in the first draft I did and am 9/12 in the second so the options should be similar, if not identical, and I am thinking that some of the same guys are going to be on the board when I'm up in the 12 team too. At the same time, I am leery of doubling, as it were, the injury risk, i.e. if I end up w/ say Nomar or Beltre in both leagues and either of them falls down the dugout steps and sprains something, I'll be up a creek twice. I like to think that I'd be going for the best available player but, I can see myself going 'don't do it' and grabbing somebody else, just for the sake of caution.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:44 am

If I had the #1 pick in two drafts, I'd take Pujols both times. If you like a player, I wouldn't worry about ending up with him on multiple teams. I really liked Sheets last year and targeted him and got him in my 3 leagues - worked out well (my Acevedo pick didn't though :-t ).

Anyway, as you get deeper into the draft, your picks will vary, so I wouldn't about having a few common picks early in the draft.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Postby Capnpitz » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:36 am

If you have two identical teams, you double the loss when one of your players in injured. If you have two completely different teams, you double the chance that some player on your teams will be injured.

The only rational thing to do is to look at each team independently. If you end up with a few players the same on both teams, or even several the same, it doesn't matter--you would have had those players had you had only one team instead of multiple teams.

More than likely you will end up with a player on more than one team, especially after the season starts and you start going after hot free agent pickups. But again, look at each team as an independent entity and try to maximize the chance that you win with that team.
Capnpitz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rlee » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:43 am

Each draft unfolds differently, so you have to be flexible in your approach. While there may be certain players you like more than other, you still have to go with the best available player for the first 8-10 rounds. So depending who your opponents select, the likelihood of you winding up with too many of the same players is remote.

Stay with the best available player O:-)
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Bobblehead » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:28 pm

I prefer to have different players on my teams for the challenge as well as the injury risk. I have 3 teams this year. In two of the leagues I had the first overall pick. In the first of those leagues I picked Pujols. In the second I wanted to get someone different so I picked Vlad.

I still ended up with 4 or 5 of the same players on two of my teams. I won't avoid a player alltogether that I have on another team but if two players have similar projected stats I will select the different player.
Bobblehead
College Coach
College Coach

Eagle Eye

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:47 pm

I have the habit of drafting certain players because I feel they are going too late in drafts. Most of these guys are injury risks, which is why they are falling, but I feel they are well worth the risk. I've drafted Nomar in a few leagues, Magglio in a league or two, and Berkman in 2 of my 3 leagues. They are very high risk players, but the rewards out weigh the risk since they are being picked a lot later than I believe they should.

Although, if they get injured, I'm finished.... !+)

You have to take risks to win though..mark my words...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Return to Baseball Leftovers