Wow - Baseball Weekly Fantasy Guide - Worst EVER? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Wow - Baseball Weekly Fantasy Guide - Worst EVER?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wow - Baseball Weekly Fantasy Guide - Worst EVER?

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:03 am

My routine is to usually buy the TSN fantasy guide in January, then buy the Baseball/Sports Weekly fantasy guide in March.

So a friend of mine tells me it's out and says it's a stand-alone that now costs $4.95. He tells me it totally sucks, but I think he's playing reverse psychology on me since we're in the same league.

I buy it and IT SUCKS! :-P

They don't have any stat projections for 2005! They just have a blurb on each player and show the three previous years stats.

They have like three articles - all lame. The first is like an intro that appears to be for beginners? After the lame player capsules which take up most of the rag, there are two totally weak small articles on who is closing where and ball park effects.

Then they do depth charts/projected lineups. That is almost interesting.

They then do an article on young guys to watch - minor leaguer types. It's only ONE PAGE and there are no minor league stats - just a little blurb.

Then comes an "expert" mock draft that has Melvin Mora getting selected in the second round of a snake draft ahead of Matsui, Ichiro, Eric Chavez, etc.

Then 2004 games played by position, 2005 dollar values (with no projections), and 2004 league leaders.

What a bunch of freakin' garbage. What happened to their old style?! I want to see the projected stats grid, the comparison thingy where they show dollar values "experts" have given to each guy, and what about that auction draft they do? Maybe this will all be in the normal Sports Weekly at some point, but this thing they put out totally sucks unless you are an absolute beginner.

I cannot even begin to tell you how much I do not recommend this. :-t :-t :-t

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Wow - Baseball Weekly Fantasy Guide - Worst EVER?

Postby Conner » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:33 am

Sticky Spice wrote:My routine is to usually buy the TSN fantasy guide in January, then buy the Baseball/Sports Weekly fantasy guide in March.

So a friend of mine tells me it's out and says it's a stand-alone that now costs $4.95. He tells me it totally sucks, but I think he's playing reverse psychology on me since we're in the same league.

I'll never understand why people just don't look through something like this before they pay for it...

If it's as bad as you described, that should've been pretty easy to figure out by just flipping through the pages for a minute or two...
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:37 am

Conner wrote:
Sticky Spice wrote:My routine is to usually buy the TSN fantasy guide in January, then buy the Baseball/Sports Weekly fantasy guide in March.

I'll never understand why people just don't look through something like this before they pay for it...

If it's as bad as you described, that should've been pretty easy to figure out by just flipping through the pages for a minute or two...
;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby quietstorm » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:39 am

It's Sports Weekly now, right? No LABR auction results?
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:41 am

Guess not...think I will cancel my subscription now. Paying for John Hunt's 1-2 page blurb weekly and statements of the obvious seems pointless.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:59 am

Conner wrote:

I meant to discuss that in my original post. My wife had the spaghetti almost ready when I realized I was out of Dr Pepper. She said "You've got three minutes!" I saw it and snagged it at the quickie mart. Yes, I was feeling the burn. But I've loved their past fantasy guides - I thought how bad could it be?!

Yes, there were not LABR draft results!!
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby stevelabny » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:38 am

i havent seen the issue in question

BUT

they did do TWO fantasy specials last year.

one at the beginning of spring training and one the week before the season started.

the second one was the "full version"
"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." -- Leo Durocher
stevelabny
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swarmee » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:50 am

stevelabny wrote:one at the beginning of spring training and one the week before the season started.
the second one was the "full version"

Yes, the "Leviathan" as some people call it will be out tomorrow, I believe.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:08 am

Your friend warned you, you just chose not to believe him. Your loss for being so mistrusting. :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dawgpound 1613 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:18 am

What you bought is their competition to Sporting News and all the other publications. What you want still comes out in the regular Sports Weekly. It'll either be tomorrow or next Wednesday (usually two weeks after the LABR auction). This new publication of theirs is just like all the other magazines - worthless as it doesn't have anything up to date.
Dawgpound 1613
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: \Lo*ca"tion\, n. 1. The act or process of locating. 2. Situation; place; locality.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers