20%
oswalt
No votes
ichiro
29%

Total votes : 35

17th overall texeria

Postby redsox34 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:42 pm

who is best to have in an 11 team keeper 1st year draft. These are the best guys still availible. i got beltran in the 1st round. is it better to grab another stub even if hes an of?
redsox34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:53 pm

Sheets or Ichiro. Don't fall for the hype that Teix is generating. Yeah he's a good hitter but what will his BA be? Will you see the Teix of July who hit 13 HR in 100 AB, or the Teix who hit 5 HR in April and May combined? There is value out there to be had for 1B, don't waste a 2nd rounder on Teix. I'd also go for Jeter, Sheff, Beltre, Rollins, Vernon Wells, and a bunch of other guys over Teix as well. Not neccesarily in the second round though.

With Beltran already locked up I'd maybe go for a SP with your second pick... maybe Sheets, Schmidt or Pedro - in that order.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:59 pm

LBJackal wrote:I'd also go for Jeter, Rollins, Vernon Wells
Them over Tex?????????? 17 is about where I have Tex and in a keeper it's defiantly a good pick, but if Crawford or Miguel Cabrera is still there get them now and in that order too ;-D

Crawford
Cabrera
Teixeira

I'd happily take any of those guys
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:01 am

Ichiro or Tex. Im not a believer in your statement there LBJ, since Tex was out the majority of April and some of May with a oblique strain. Plus, its not like he hit for a poor average in the minors or college, so at some point (maybe not this year, but soon) he'll probably hit around .300. Plus his lineup is stacked, and he has great power. And, for being 24 last year in his 2nd full season, he showed marked improvement and really gave you a look at what he was capable of during the summer. If you want average and steals, go with Ichiro. If you want power numbers, a .290 average, take Tex. Sheets, I feel at 17 its a little early. I wouldn't take Sheets ahead of Jason Schmidt. (Is he still there?)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:03 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:Ichiro or Tex. Im not a believer in your statement there LBJ, since Tex was out the majority of April and some of May with a oblique strain. Plus, its not like he hit for a poor average in the minors or college, so at some point (maybe not this year, but soon) he'll probably hit around .300. Plus his lineup is stacked, and he has great power. And, for being 24 last year in his 2nd full season, he showed marked improvement and really gave you a look at what he was capable of during the summer. If you want average and steals, go with Ichiro. If you want power numbers, a .290 average, take Tex. Sheets, I feel at 17 its a little early. I wouldn't take Sheets ahead of Jason Schmidt. (Is he still there?)
;-D
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:12 am

It's not the power I doubt. I have him projected for:

39 HR, 94 R, 115 RBI, 3 SB, .286 BA

That works out to about 42nd overall. Power is over-rated. As for Vernon Wells, his projections are:

30 HR, 102 R, 105 RBI, 14 SB, .300 BA

That comes out to $5 more valuable than Teix.

So I'd think about this decision for a second rounder. Most people say the first few rounds don't matter, seasons are won and lost in the middle rounds. Well, if you make picks like Helton in the top 5, Teix in the first 2 rounds, you can very easily shoot yourself in the foot before the 3rd round even starts.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby redsox34 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:17 am

schmidt is gone
redsox34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:21 am

LBJackal wrote:It's not the power I doubt. I have him projected for:

That works out to about 42nd overall. Power is over-rated. As for Vernon Wells, his projections are:

So I'd think about this decision for a second rounder. Most people say the first few rounds don't matter, seasons are won and lost in the middle rounds. Well, if you make picks like Helton in the top 5, Teix in the first 2 rounds, you can very easily shoot yourself in the foot before the 3rd round even starts.

So, his average will go up, and his home runs go up, yet he hits only 3 more RBI and gets less runs? How do you figure? That lineup is stacked top to bottom, probably more so than last year with Hidalgo there protecting Tex. He should be a shoo-in for 40/100/120 if hes healthy. He nearly hit that missing a month. And why in the world would you take Vernon Wells in the 2nd round when you could get him 3 or 4 rounds later? Why wouldn't you take Tex, and if you don't like him, trade him for value, and take Wells later?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:22 am

just for the record, shandler has a massive hard-on for teixeira this year. he's expecting ~.300 BA. also 100-40-100, but everyone has that expectation.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:23 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
LBJackal wrote:It's not the power I doubt. I have him projected for:

So, his average will go up, and his home runs go up, yet he hits only 3 more RBI and gets less runs? How do you figure? That lineup is stacked top to bottom, probably more so than last year with Hidalgo there protecting Tex. He should be a shoo-in for 40/100/120 if hes healthy. He nearly hit that missing a month. And why in the world would you take Vernon Wells in the 2nd round when you could get him 3 or 4 rounds later? Why wouldn't you take Tex, and if you don't like him, trade him for value, and take Wells later?
;-D ;-D
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers