Gabe Gross - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Gabe Gross

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gabe Gross

Postby Oat Soda » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:29 pm

How many at-bats (if any) do you guys project Gross getting with Toronto this year? I know there are about a zillion guys ahead of him but he's seriously tearing up the Grapefruit League so far. I haven't seen him play since he was at Auburn but I've heard nothing but good things about him.
Oat Soda
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:13 am

Wasn't he a quarterback at Auburn?

The guy rocks. Pretty late for him to break out but I think that he has earned a UT spot and about 200-250 AB at DH and as the 4th OF. The trouble is that the team may feel that he would benefit more from full time playing time down in the minors and a call up for full time work if someone goes down with an injury.

I think that we have to wait and see on Gabe.

Good luck to him though.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby ensanimal » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:32 pm

as awesome as he has been this spring, i don't think the team will be able to bring him north, barring a trade of course. wells and rios are set at cf/rf, and koskie is set at 3b. so for 1b/lf/dh they have reed/cat/shea/hinske to get at bats for.

gross has some options left, so i think they'll send him back to the minors, and then call him up during the year if he is tearing it up down there as well, and trade away one of the guys i mentioned above. i don't think it would be wise to have him sit on the bench for most of the year, when he could be playing everyday.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)

Postby mikegp » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:48 pm

Team is pretty full already so I think they'd rather have him play everyday in the minors then sit on the bench and play once a week and pinch hit. Once the Jays are out of contention though he'll probably get called up and get lots of playing time.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ensanimal » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:18 pm

from rotoworld:

Gabe Gross - OF - Blue Jays

Gabe Gross hit his sixth home run in 22 spring at-bats today against Jason Johnson.
Gross also has two doubles and is slugging a robust 1.409. Of course, it's still only doing him so much good. ''Coming in there isn't a spot for him right now,'' manager John Gibbons said. ''But he has everybody's attention. I will leave it at that.'' Mar. 15 - 7:43 pm et
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:52 am

He turns 26 this year so he is not young. It sounds as if they are shopping him aroung. If Chacin doesn't get it together Gross may find himself traded for an arm. But if Hinske can't find his stroke or one of the OF gets injured I wouldn't mind giving Gross a shot.

At his age I also don't mind him sitting on the bench as a UT guy. A 26 year old who has played as much as Gabe has doesn't face the same problem as a Wily Mo Pena whose development has been hurt by all of the bench time. Gross will see enough AB as our UT guy to make it worthwhile.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Return to Toronto Blue Jays