What do my Stat Cats favor? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do my Stat Cats favor?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do my Stat Cats favor?

Postby Phatferd » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:00 pm

I play in a funky little 9 x 9 league with some college buddies, could you help me see if I am overlooking things. Please help me decide what my stat categories favor?

We start 1 at each spot and 1 util, we have 3 SP and 2 RP, and a 8 bench spots. H2H, daily changes. We do the deep bench to prevent people from making daily waiver moves for pitchers and have a minimum of 20 IP per week.

My cats are:
Hitting - R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, SLG
Pitching - W, CG, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9

You will notice the CG and SHO which are random, so I would think hitting is more valued. Also, A strong pitcher with a lot of Ks will be best, due to the fact that K, K/BB and K/9 are cats. The pitching cats are funky.

I am thinking of a guy like Helton or Crawford 1 and 2 if I am towards the end of the 1st round. I think I can get both. Carford will help me in SB, 3B and Doubles, his OBP, and AVG are not shabby either, and Helton will supply SOME pop, but give me a big boost in SLG, OBP and AVG....

My friend is the commish I have some influence, could you suggest some other cats to replace some if they seem way out of whack?

What do you guys think?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:21 am

anyone?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:27 am

OBP = People like Adam Dunn become much more vaulable and Barry Bonds is a top pick

Hitting get Power hitters and for pitching high K Pitchers like Sheets and Prior ( when healthy ) and Wood ( When healthy ) and Randy Johnson will also be VERY valuable ;-D
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:36 am

Thanks, would you project something more like this then (it isn't definite, but I think its a possibility):

Assuming I have the 5th pick (10 teams) Take Barry, Crawford on the way back, and Tex.....I think I get a very good mix of everything right there, then load up on some pitchers like Sheets, Lidge/Krod in the next couple rounds....then towards the middle get Kelvim Escobar? I like his K's?

You think this is possible? If so a good strategy?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:01 am

Phatferd wrote:Thanks, would you project something more like this then (it isn't definite, but I think its a possibility):

Assuming I have the 5th pick (10 teams) Take Barry, Crawford on the way back, and Tex.....I think I get a very good mix of everything right there, then load up on some pitchers like Sheets, Lidge/Krod in the next couple rounds....then towards the middle get Kelvim Escobar? I like his K's?

You think this is possible? If so a good strategy?
With the 5th Pick you have to take Barry in a OBP league and if he's gone Randy Johnson and I'd go with Tex and Sheets with your next two picks if possible. Lidge would also be very valuable and it wouldn't hurt to reach for him a bit...same with Krod but a round or two later. Kelvim Escobar wouldn't be a bad pick but wait until the 11-12th round at the earliest.
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:15 am

I think I need Crawford in a bad way, he had so many triples he will win me that cat alone along with SB and his runs are nice and his AVG, and OBP don't hurt my team.

Also, with what you are saying that would be 4 pitchers in the first 5-6 rounds. I don't see how this league is pitcher heavy, I think it favors hitters, wouldn't this hurt me?
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Spartans Rule » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:21 am

Phatferd wrote:I think I need Crawford in a bad way, he had so many triples he will win me that cat alone along with SB and his AVG, and OBP don't hurt my team.

I disagree. Crawford's OBP and SLG are not that great and he's actually not much of a doubles hitter at all (just 26 last year). As for triples, sure he's great but in H2H that category will fluctuate a lot weekly. A lot of weeks Crawford won't even hit a triple.

In 5x5, Crawford is great in 3 of 5 categories. In your league he's great in 4 of 9. He's not worth a high pick.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:27 am

Phatferd wrote:I think I need Crawford in a bad way, he had so many triples he will win me that cat alone along with SB and his runs are nice and his AVG, and OBP don't hurt my team.

Also, with what you are saying that would be 4 pitchers in the first 5-6 rounds. I don't see how this league is pitcher heavy, I think it favors hitters, wouldn't this hurt me?
I don't mean you need all of them I'm saying if you don't get Bonds Randy Johnson wouldn't bea bad choice and You should try to get Sheets and one of Lidge or Krod...so 2 maybe 3, but there's more power hitters than K pitchers. O and the point about Crawford is a good one. ;-D
Go Braves!
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:44 am

I wouldn't even focus on pitching ..

with 8 bench spots you can easily rotate SP.

with categories like SV, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9 Middle relievers and closers could easily fetch you 5 of the 9 pitching categories everyweek. use the bench spots to rotate in favorable matchups each week with to try and wins the "Wins" category.

I would focus on power bats, ideally 3, 4 and 5 hitters that could win you 7 of the 9 batting categories.
also grab at least three closers, maybe four. ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Return to Baseball Leftovers