Best value in round 2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best value in round 2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BoSox » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:30 pm

Rhino Tuff wrote:
In a draft looking like this who goes next?

1) A-Rod
2) Pujols
3) Vlad
4) Beltran
5) Soriano
6) Tejada
7) Bonds
8) Manny
9) Abreu
10) Santana
11) Helton
12) Randy
I guess you are suggesting
13) Ichiro
14) Sheffield
15) Crawford
16) Beltre
17) Shmidt
18) Sheets
19) ???
20) ???
21) ???
22) ???
23) ???
24) ???

My point exactly. Is Jeter a reach at this point? Lock yourself up a solid shortstop and grab a solid 3b in rnd 4 or 5? With OF being a shallow position (according to some) how about Jim Edmonds? I still like Rolen here too. I've cooled on Thome. Comparable value at 1B can be found much later (Delgado, Konerko, Morneau).
BoSox
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Rhino Tuff » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:46 pm

I personally see nothing wrong with "reaching" for a player like Miguel Cabrera, he might not be considered "elite" yet, but he will be soon. I like Cabrera better than Edmonds just because he is younger and less prone to injury.

In my league Gagne is a worth while pick, although this year with more depth at the position he may last. It all depends what you are looking for. I don't like to base my picks on anyone's rankings if I like a player and I don't think I be able to get them in the next round than I have to take them...
Rhino Tuff
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:10 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
free wrote:
brandnew wrote:I don't believe in contract years.. Contract years don't alter your ability to hit the ball.

Contract years work for players like JD Drew, who put in 100% effort, and don't sit out with minor injuries like other years, to get their paycheck. But Beltre, he's always had talent, but he's never put it together. Not that he sat out stupid injuries, or didn't give effort.

right, contract years don't affect talent, but they do affect laziness and work ethic which has been a knock on beltre :-[

WHAT!?!? Since when? He played through a life threatening stomach illness that he needed multiple surgeries to correct. Now he is considered lazy and his work ethic is questioned? You guys are making stuff up to knock him down now.

He had that injury in early 2001. It doesn't take over 30 months to heal from that.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:19 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
free wrote:
brandnew wrote:I don't believe in contract years.. Contract years don't alter your ability to hit the ball.

Contract years work for players like JD Drew, who put in 100% effort, and don't sit out with minor injuries like other years, to get their paycheck. But Beltre, he's always had talent, but he's never put it together. Not that he sat out stupid injuries, or didn't give effort.

right, contract years don't affect talent, but they do affect laziness and work ethic which has been a knock on beltre :-[

WHAT!?!? Since when? He played through a life threatening stomach illness that he needed multiple surgeries to correct. Now he is considered lazy and his work ethic is questioned? You guys are making stuff up to knock him down now.

He had that injury in early 2001. It doesn't take over 30 months to heal from that.

which injury - the original one, or the 2nd time when they had to go back in and repair the damage from the original surgery? Yes, it was over a 2 year span.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby baseballnewb » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:27 pm

I love it, you say don't take cabrera or Teix because they haven't proven themselves and then you say take Beltre who has had one good year, switched leagues and has an injury that is going to bother him the rest of his life. Sometimes peoples info is just well odd.

Rolen is a very safe 2nd round pick as is Thome. These are guys that will produce well in secondary numbers even if their primary numbers slide much. Schmidt, sheets and pedro are all viable starters to pick in the 2nd round. Sheffield, Ortiz, Cabrera, Teix, Crawford are all viable as well. If you really can't decide on someone you can even go gagne or jeter because of their positions.

As for 3B, I'd pick Rolen, blalock or chavez over Beltre, he's a collapse waiting to happen.
baseballnewb
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:34 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
bleach168 wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:
free wrote:

which injury - the original one, or the 2nd time when they had to go back in and repair the damage from the original surgery? Yes, it was over a 2 year span.

The 2nd surgery was done on March 12, 2001. Are you saying it took him 3 years to recover?
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:36 pm

baseballnewb wrote:As for 3B, I'd pick Rolen, blalock or chavez over Beltre, he's a collapse waiting to happen.

I've yet to see much evidence that this is the case. Those are all good guys to have but I don't really rate any one of them that much higher than the others. Rolen though had some wear and tear issues towards the end of last year, not necessarily a good thing for fantasy ball. I'd put them in order Beltre, Chavez, Rolen and Blalock but they are so close that anyone of them could 'win' and they should all be very good.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:38 pm

baseballnewb wrote:I love it, you say don't take cabrera or Teix because they haven't proven themselves and then you say take Beltre who has had one good year, switched leagues and has an injury that is going to bother him the rest of his life. Sometimes peoples info is just well odd.

Take Cabrera or Teix then, it's not my loss.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Q » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:31 pm

If you could get Crawford in round two it would be a steal.
Q
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers