Probably a stupid question about computers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Probably a stupid question about computers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Probably a stupid question about computers...

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:28 pm

are there laptops that have internet acess without being plugged into anything. i know this can be done in homes,im not sure how, but what about on the road? lets say im driving across country, can i have a computer that will have wireless internet access?
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby logan » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:04 pm

yes you can get a wifi card for laptops that work the same way a home pc would work. the only rpoblem is that there are very few areas that offer the signal at this point. some cities like philadelphia (and i believe there are a few others) have it set up in their cities to where you can access the interenet from anywhere with a wifi card. im not sure whether it will ever become practice or a standard thing though because of the companies that offer interet access with see this "free" internet as a threat to their buisnesses.
logan
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BGbootha » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:06 pm

logan wrote:yes you can get a wifi card for laptops that work the same way a home pc would work. the only rpoblem is that there are very few areas that offer the signal at this point. some cities like philadelphia (and i believe there are a few others) have it set up in their cities to where you can access the interenet from anywhere with a wifi card. im not sure whether it will ever become practice or a standard thing though because of the companies that offer interet access with see this "free" internet as a threat to their buisnesses.

hey man depending on how bad you want it, most cell phone companies offer a wireless data package, I know cingular for instance will give you unlimited hi-speed GPRS or EDGE (depending on where you live) access for somewhere rounds the 50 bucks a month rate!!!
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Tavish » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:11 pm

There are tons of public wifi hotspots out there for you to use for access. There are of course some increased security issues that goes along with public hotspot usage, I would highly suggest not transmitting Top Secret documents on the local college's bandwidth.

Check out a website like this to find a local hotspot.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:18 pm

well are there phones available that would allow me to alter my fantasy rosters? i have nextel with internet and i cant make specific changes like that.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BGbootha » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:01 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:well are there phones available that would allow me to alter my fantasy rosters? i have nextel with internet and i cant make specific changes like that.

I am not too familar with Nextel, but I know motorola, and Seimens make phones with a full IE browser, I used my Motorola MPx220 and i can look and change anything on my fantasy teams fromYahoo and Sportsline.

But it looks like thanks to phonescoop.com, nextel offers the Blackberry 7520, and the Motorola i860 both of which have full internet capability.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to General Talk