Is it safe to drop Dempster for Borowski at this point? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is it safe to drop Dempster for Borowski at this point?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is it safe to dump Dempster for Borowski?

Yes
38%
No
5%
Situation too unclear, stay with Dempster for now
5%
Situation too unclear, but I'd rather have Borowski
52%

Total votes : 21

Is it safe to drop Dempster for Borowski at this point?

Postby orange12 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:50 pm

With Prior and Wood seeing injuries, Yahoo and other fantasy news sources are reporting that Dempster will more likely be used as a starter than a closer while Borowski will get his closing job back. Would you drop Dempster for Borowski at this point?
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:53 pm

Who knows? Baker is a fool...The ownership/GM over their is clueless...and not a word that comes out of anyone in Cubs management is worth a plug nickel.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:00 pm

Get rid of Dempster for Borowski, definately. Dempster sucks big time, and it looks like he'll be in the rotation. Unfortunately, that means sleeper candidate Glendon Rusch has lost his rotation spot because he's needed as a lefty out of the pen (Remlinger isn't 100%).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:03 pm

So they let Alou walk...trade Sosa for next to nothing...let Clement Walk...don't get a closer in the off-season...Borowski is a favorite to close ...have Dempster AND Rusch as viable pitching candidates for the rotation/pen...Wood is hurt...Prior is hurt AGAIN.

Really, you could not make this stuff up as no one would believe you.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:10 pm

The Cubs off-season hasn't been that bad. And Rusch is probably better than most #4 and #5 starters in the majors. People don't realize it but he's pretty good (4.00 ERA good, not a star or anything).

What were the Cubs supposed to do about Alou or Clement? Grossly overpay them? They made the right choice there. And Sosa? He didn't want to paly there, they didn't want him to play there, and also he sucks. Getting rid of him was also the right decision. Borowski is a good pitcher when healthy, which it seems he is. Hawkins is also one of the best RP's in baseball. If you didn't look at everything with such a negative eye you might see some of this.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:22 pm

Rusch? He had not posted an ERA under 4.6 since 2000 before last season. In fact, he had 1 (count it 1) season of an ERA under 4.6 his entire career since 97. He is almost as awful as we all know Dempster is and last season's resurrection does not make me a believer that this guy has suddenly learned how to pitch.

So you do not overpay Alou and Clement?...the Tribune I guess needs to save a dime. They do not pay ANYONE decent to replace either of them or Sosa an bring in Hairston via the Sosa deal (or ever injury prone Hollandsworth) and Burnitz and go with good old Rusch...please. Justify it all you want, it is just plain old-fashioned cheap.

And you really think a team that is serious about contending pins its closer hopes on Borowski..or Dempster...or a Hawkins who they seem to be very unhappy with in the role? Save another couple of mill for the Tribune exec bonuses.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby orange12 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:50 pm

LBJackal wrote:And Sosa? He didn't want to paly there, they didn't want him to play there, and also he sucks. Getting rid of him was also the right decision.

LOL. Thirteen years of being the crowd favorite and one of the few bright spots for the Cubs and all of a sudden he sucks and was never wanted. You are right about one thing; it was time the Cubs and Sosa parted ways. The relationship soured and Sosa is at the tail end of his career. Nonetheless, saying he sucks just because he's getting old is callous and ignores the fact that Sosa has been the best thing to happen to the Cubs since Sandberg and the biggest marketing machine the Cubs can dream of. It would behoove the Cubs and their fans to stop pissing off their future HOFer. (Like Boston did to Clemens.)
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:57 pm

I don't mind the Cubs' offseason moves that much, except for the fact that the Tribune did not bite the Beltran and sign him. He was INSANE at Wrigley last year and would have created PLENTY of news (the REAL angle they are pursuing, baseball < news as far as they are concerned, w/ Dusty, they get PLENTY of news w/o necessarily having to indulge in winning baseball...) that would have more than made up for the $$$ involved. Who are they kidding, they scalp their own freaking tickets?!!

As far as the pen, given what Baker did last year, I would bet money on it being closer by committee. I am aware they've denied that as an option but, given that they 1) have shaky closers at best and 2) play the Cardinals enough that whoever gets tapped has a pretty high probability of getting HAMMERED, they are going to be swapping guys around. That doesn't even consider what might happen to Dempster filling in for PRIOR or any of the other spectres haunting them in ST.

Sure, they are not saying much and maybe it's just some minor stiffness that will go away but, in the free league I'm in and the $$$ league, I'm steering clear of Cubs' P except for CZam.

PS, I think that Sammy is going to rebound quite a bit this year but he wasn't going to do it in Chicago. I wonder if Boras demanded that he be traded to a team w/ a 'no boombox' policy like the Os? I think that's only going to help him...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby TheRock » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:03 pm

Er.. back to the topic at hand. I'd drop Dempster. Even if he doesn't end up in the rotation, is he really closer material? Borowski's ceiling is pretty high if he's healthy. Big 'if'. Do we know anything beyond he threw 88 last week? Do we have anything other speculation that he'll end up with the job?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:06 pm

Yeah, in relation to the 'question', I don't see either of those guys as actually having much value, either as a closer or when they are trotted out in MR roles while Dusty figures out who's 'the man' until August.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers