beltran then who.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

beltran then who....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

beltran then who....

Postby redsox34 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:17 pm

whats a good direction to go in a keeper league. i got beltran in the 1st round. puljus, santana, arod, vlad miggy, helton, abreu, manny, rj schmidt, bonds, beltre, rolen, prior, soriano are all gone its my turn. i was thinking texeria maybe or sheets. any opinions out there i really need the help
redsox34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby redsox34 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:34 pm

hello anyone
redsox34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby go_jays_go » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:39 pm

Go with Teix. He's already a stud and hes only 25. Imagine when he's 29! Should have plenty of 40+ HR seasons. ;-D
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:45 pm

go_jays_go wrote:Go with Teix. He's already a stud and hes only 25. Imagine when he's 29! Should have plenty of 40+ HR seasons. ;-D
That or Crawford...both good choices ;-D
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:47 pm

I'd go for Sheets or Sheffield. Or even Jeter. Just depends on the direction you want the team to go in, and if you want to win this year or wait for the future (I always suggest playing for the current season).

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot about Crawford... but with Beltran already the SB's would just be redundant and one would have to be traded at some point probably.
Last edited by LBJackal on Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby speedy27 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:47 pm

agreed with both! can't go wrong with either one!
speedy27
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:51 pm

LBJackal wrote:I'd go for Sheets or Sheffield. Or even Jeter. Just depends on the direction you want the team to go in, and if you want to win this year or wait for the future (I always suggest playing for the current season).

EDIT: Oh yeah forgot about Crawford... but with Beltran already the SB's would just be redundant and one would have to be traded at some point probably.
Yes but you can then concentrate on people who get no stolen bases but are good in other cats instead of a bunch of 15/15 guys
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:56 pm

Yes but regardless, Crawford's value to you goes down once you have Beltran. Even without Beltran, I rate Sheff and Sheets above Crawford.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Buster Douglas » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:08 pm

Interesting question... I have a similar problem in my keeper (am taking Vlad with 4th pick).
I think Sheffiled, while good, might turn into this year's Giambi. Even if he doesn't, he's 36, this is a keeper, and you already have drafted an outfielder. So I don't think that would be a smart play.
IMO, all 2nd round pitchers worth taking are gone, and you'd be massively overpaying to take Sheets in the 2nd round.
I think Crawford is a steal there, I've seen him go late first round in some drafts. If you can get him, in a keeper league, he's a lock, and great trade bait, if you're savvy enough to trade him to someone who needs him more later in the year.
People rave about the depth of 1b, but if you don't get one of the top six, you will be struggling for power all year. I personally think it comes down to Tex or a guy like Ortiz. In a keeper, I'll give the slight edge to Tex.
So for me, I'd ignore pitching until round 3, grab a Peavy or Zambrano at the point who will give you close to similar numbers, and go after either Crawford or Tex.
Buster Douglas
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers