I'm sick of ALMOST winning!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I'm sick of ALMOST winning!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I'm sick of ALMOST winning!!!

Postby Jester » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:33 pm

A group of my buddies and I have been in a points league for about 6 years. I have come second 4 times, and 3rd twice. I need something going into this years draft that is over and above the rest, and for some reason I can't figure it out.

What are some stratagies for points based leagues that you would never use for Roto, or H to H?
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SFkid25 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:34 pm

play roto
SFkid25
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby ensanimal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:03 pm

it would really depend on your points system. you have to take advantage of the scoring, find something that is overvalued, and try to exploit it.

really not 100% sure, as i have never played points leagues before, but that would be my best guess.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)

Postby Spartans Rule » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:29 pm

Seeing your scoring system would help.

In general though, you can apply a lot of the principles used in fantasy football to a points league, like value-based drafting. Understand the drop-offs in points at each position and you're set.

And you don't need balance. I used to play in Sandbox FP leagues and would usually take SP with my first 2 or 3 picks. The top K pitchers are very valuable in many FP leagues, and sometimes locking a bunch of em up early is a great strategy.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quietstorm » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:19 pm

Most points-league configs that I've seen either over- or undervalue pitchers. I've rarely seen them ranked right on par with batters. As such, make sure you work out some point projections, and figure out which positions have a wide spread between top and bottom tier guys. If you've got a 300-point spread at 2nd (I've got a 241 spread in my league), but only have a 150 point spread at third base (something like 180, in my league, I think), you're much better off taking a top-tier keystone man and taking a lower (possibly undervalued) guy at the hot corner.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jester » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:14 pm

Sorry, I meant to put this with my original post.

R (1), H (1), 2B (1), 3B (2), HR (3), RBI (1), SB (3), CS (-1), BB (1), K (-1), IP (3), W (10), L (-5), CG (10), SHO (5), SV (4), H (-1), ER (-1), BB (-1), K (1), HLD (3)
Food is an important part of a balanced diet.
Jester
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby quietstorm » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:24 pm

protip: Closers will be SEVERELY overvalued in that league.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:31 pm

Finishing in the money like that consistently obviously means you know what you are doing in your league. If it is the same person beating you each year, you might just be running into a slightly better player than you are. If not, then you might just be running into a bit of lousy luck. Luck factors into this game like any other and as the saying goes, you need to be a little lucky to win. Too many injuries or a key player stiffing you and it is hard to win a competive league. Take it from this owner who did not 3-peat in one of my leagues last year because I was DUMB enough to draft Soriano round 1. That stiff cost me a 3-peat title and I am openly more than a little upset about it. What you going to do though...thems the breaks.

That said, analyze your prior drafting and see if you take a few too many injury risks or fliers. That is usually where a lot of players go wrong, sacrificing mid-level contributors for pokes in the dark or taking big risks early in the draft. Of course you could go too conservative, which is not a good thing either. It is difficult to know where to draw the line.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Baseball Leftovers