SP Rankings - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

SP Rankings

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:57 pm

Burnett - Cy Young candidate - completely healthy from TJ, no more of an injury risk than any of the elites. Has extremely high upside. Easily the best bargain pitcher in drafts where he lasts past the 6th rd.

Beckett - more of an injury risk than Burnett, only rated slightly higher than Halladay due to his upside - he is one of the most dominating pitchers in the game when healthy and he plays for a contender.

Halladay - not as big an injury risk as some think. His injury last yr was fatigue based. He's rested. Dominating pitcher, but run support and division strength lower his ceiling.

Clement/Pavano - solid Ps who get plenty of Ks and Ws - they are consistant although a slight increase in %s is expected.

Wood - gotta be an injury risk, so this ranking could easily fall off the map if he misses significant time. Im worried about Wood at this point. He has tremendous upside, but right now the risk is too great for me.

Vaz - He may rebound nicely out of NY - but going to the BOB will be no picknick. Defensively poor team as well. He should get solid Ks and Ws but dont expect much from his %s.

Livan Hernandez - Good P playing for a pretty good team. He should be solid but not spectacular across the board.

Zito - He's getting knocked hard fellas. I wont draft him.

Buerhle is a strange ranking - he's half a pitcher. On the road hes lights out - ranked right up there with the elites. At home he has a 5+ ERA. How do you rank half a pitcher? I guess a good strategy would be to only play him for his road games - but then why not just draft Scott Shields 10 rds later?
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:12 am

SFkid25 wrote:many peeps dont know what they speak of here... :-o
pavano is second to last on all those lists! ahhh
i would love to play in the same league as you guys! :-)
this is not meant to be an insult but look at pavanos numbers from last year. they are a reach but he has mad skillz and could beneift from nueva york. we all know that he can handle the pressure there bcuz of the showing in the 03 WS

do your HW on players bcuz you make yourself sound ignorant

!+) ;-D

Ok. Heres your homework: career ERA over 4 and a WHIP over 1.30. Do I need to do any more homework, headmaster? Don't call anyone else ignorant when you are basing a guy off of his career year, when he moves from a pitcher friendly park and division to a great hitting division, and into the AL. Anyways, my rankings.

Burnett
Halladay
Wood
Beckett
Livan
Vazquez
Zito
Buerhle
Clement
Pavano
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:21 am

Do some of your own homework and look beyond the raw numbers. In 2000, Pavano was posting outstanding numbers until he got hurt. It took him until mid 2003 to get completely back from his injuries and he missed a lot of time in that range. He continued to pitch well in 2004. He is an injury risk for sure. His talent has NEVER been in doubt. His health has. You can not look at the numbers in a vacuum. This is not a SP that all of a sudden shows sign of life. This guy was breaking out in 2000 before he got seriously hurt.

He is likely to see the natural increase in percentages that going from the NL to the AL brings. If you think Zito and his Buerhle of all people are better bets then good luck to you. Not to mention Vazquez and his gopher balls.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LBJackal » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:35 am

Pavano has had one good year.. and a bunch of bad ones. He's OK, but an ERA around 4+ is likely. His HR are going to shoot up big time from last year, and his WHIP will probably be 1.3+ as well.

As for the "gutless" :-b Javier Vazquez, his talent has NEVER been an issue. He's a great K pitcher, and has had excellent control throughout his career. Yet, you tout Pavano as being better. Next year when you're calling Pavano a gutless one-year-wonder, who will the new star be? I suppose it'll be the one George signs, right?

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Spartans Rule » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:53 am

Burnett
Wood
Beckett
Halladay