Prior Hurt? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prior Hurt?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:33 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Not to start the debate again (of heck, why not) but how's about Mr. Prior as a candidate for the Balco class? It has been mentioned before as a possibility by some.

Is there a way to take steroids where it doesn't show any effect in the upper body? Prior's upper body doesn't at all look like he takes anything, maybe you could make a case for his legs as they are very strong/big.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:39 am

I am no expert on the subject to say the least, but my understanding is that roids helps you recover faster and thereby work out more/build yourself up faster. I would assume you could target any part of the body.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby hybrid » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:58 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I am no expert on the subject to say the least, but my understanding is that roids helps you recover faster and thereby work out more/build yourself up faster. I would assume you could target any part of the body.

Yeah I was thinking more of the shoot up roids and not the cream or whatever the Balco stuff is called.

Then the next question would be, if he did use some type of roids to use on his legs, why is it his arm is the thing having the problem right now? Also his legs have been huge since college, so he would of had to be using it for quite a while.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Spartans Rule » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:01 am

TheYanks04 wrote:I am no expert on the subject to say the least, but my understanding is that roids helps you recover faster and thereby work out more/build yourself up faster. I would assume you could target any part of the body.

I'm no expert either but this is also what I've heard.
Spartans Rule
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:08 am

I am confused ...

Wood was injury prone long before Dusty got there

Prior was injured falling over Marcus Giles in 2003 and missed a month

In 2004 his Achilles tendon was injured.
Now for those of you not knowing,
The Achilles tendon is the large tendon that connects the three calf muscles to the heel bone (calcaneus), which helps to transfer power from the calf muscles to the feet, giving rise to the toes as they push off when walking. Several problems can affect the Achilles tendon, including Achilles tendonitis, bursitis and tendon ruptures..

Its no where near the fricking arm.

So please tell me again how this is Dusty Bakers fault?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby Conner » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:17 am

TheYanks04 wrote:In fairness (and I am no Baker fan), Wood had been injury prone well before Baker showed up and Prior may just be plain old brittle.

I didn't mention Baker at all.

The fact of the matter is...Prior, Wood and Zambrano are all very young, and have pitched a whole heck of a lot of innings. Wood and Prior have had arm problems...and it's not crazy to think that Zambrano might have them soon, too.
Conner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GiantFan666 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:31 am

Is it just me or have pitchers just gotten weaker and weaker every year? back in the early periods of the game up to the 1930's you would see pitchers throwing like 400-500 innings a year and would have more complete games in a season than most guys today even start. And its not like they had modern medicine then either, they were still using leaches back then to get rid of "bad blood"
GiantFan666
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:53 am

Yeah, in a century we have gone from 3 man rotations, to 4, to 5. We have gone from you finish what you start to I will go 6 and then bring in some help. Some good and some bad obviously, but a certain level of pampering and softness is definitely in the equation.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:47 am

hybrid wrote:

Yeah I was thinking more of the shoot up roids and not the cream or whatever the Balco stuff is called.

Then the next question would be, if he did use some type of roids to use on his legs, why is it his arm is the thing having the problem right now? Also his legs have been huge since college, so he would of had to be using it for quite a while.

my question about that would be doesn't the NCAA test its players or did the player's association put a stop to that too? There's been some other posts suggesting that sluggers are not necessarily the only guys who'd benefit from some 'roids and that pitchers who are injury prone would also find them useful to 'recover' (sic?) more quickly.

I do have to wonder what happened to pitchers to make them run out of gas though, compared w/ vintage pitchers. I guess that it is a different game, they've lowered the mound and stuff like that so they lose something there that perhaps their digging out of their arms?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby J35J » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:54 am

The reason why guys are getting hurt more and more is because of lifting weights the bigger and bulkier these guys get the crappier their flexibility gets and without good flexibility you will strain and pull things very easy. Being huge and ripped in baseball is not good!! Flexibility should be priority #1. Don't most homerun hitters say that they hit the ball better when they aren't swinging for the fences, that just putting the bat on the ball squarely will make the ball go a long way without swinging out of your shoes. If guys would just go do Yoga or something and do very light workouts I think they would be a whole lot better off!!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers