Bottom of the barrell closers or the "Build a stud" theory? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bottom of the barrell closers or the "Build a stud" theory?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bottom of the barrell closers or the "Build a stud" theory?

Postby TB13 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:48 am

In my keeper HTH draft, I left closers until the bitter end. We start 3 SP's, 2 RP's & 2 of either, for a total of 7. Becuase I stocked up on bats and starters, I was left with Percival, Affeld, Cordero & Adams. I would like to hear opinion of is it better to go with these 4 or adopt the build-a-stud theory by taking 3 top MR's (say Gonzalez, Rincon & say a Gordon or Donnely)?
There was a thead on how 3 MR's can equal one stud in K's, ERA & WHIP. So that got me thinking.
BTW, our league has a min innings pitched (35) and a cap on waiver moves (40).
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:52 am

i would stick with the closers. i am not a big fan of punting categories and you have some of the better cheap closers in my opinion so you should still compete well in that category. its a gamble but i did the same thing last year and got great production of cheapies like mesa and graves.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Cooner » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:27 pm

none of those guys are spectacular, but they're all solid closers. I'd be happy with them on my staff.
Cooner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:14 pm

i love the build a stud technique...but in your situation it would mean u basically punting saves, which is something u should not do.... keep your closers.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby quietstorm » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:21 pm

Without somebody like Lidge, Gagne, Rivera, or Foulke, you're better off keeping at least a couple closers. To do the build-a-stud method, you really need to have a good closer, otherwise, you have no chance at a good amount of saves.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:26 pm

TB13 - the strategy you are referring to really only works well in roto leagues with IP limits. A h2h with weekly minimum IP is not the same at all, and chances are trying to reach 35 IP with 2 SPs and 5 closers/MR would be extrememly risky.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TB13 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:38 pm

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kev921 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:44 pm

Keep those closers. While all are not spectacular (how many closers are?) they will be a great rotation of rp's. I'm with you, I'd rather go for the better bats than saves
kev921
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TB13 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:51 pm

[quote="kev921"]Keep those closers. While all are not spectacular (how many closers are?) they will be a great rotation of rp's. I'm with you, I'd rather go for the better bats than saves[/quote]
My keepers got me a great foundation for bats (Tex, Thome, Beltran, Tejada, M Cab). We kept 6, so the draft technically starts in round 7. The only pitcher I kept was Prior. When the closer run began (round 8), I managed to nab Burnett, Halladay, Becket & Clement. The temptation to get off my strategy and go with the herd (join the closer run) was there, but I held off and got my bottom-of-the barrell closers starting in round 15-19.
TB13
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LBJackal » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:44 pm

Closers are ALWAYS over-valued. Wait it out, build a lineup of studs, and get 3 mediocre closers later on. Usually I go for Dotel (for some reason he slips well beyong the elite closer run) along with 2 so-so guys like Ryan, Graves, Cordero, etc.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers