trades, keepers, etc.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

trades, keepers, etc....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

trades, keepers, etc....

Postby accohen » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:45 pm

Hey, guys. I'm in an extremely deep, 15 team, 40 man roster, AL/NL mixed, 6 x6 (OBP and Quality Starts added) league that keeps 7 guys (for one year only). I will also have the 2nd pick of the draft. Heading into this season, my potential 7 keepers come from this list:

Nomar, Nevin, Magglio, Abreu, Luis Gonzalez, Matt Morris, Oswalt, Buehrle, Javier Vasquez, and Randy Wolf.

My initial thoughts immediately after the season was to keep the first 7 of those guys, use the others as tradebait in the offseason, and then take the best pitcher available with my 2nd pick.

Anyway, 2 trades have been offered to me that have made me re-think those plans: 1) Nomar and Abreu for A-Rod
2) Buehrle, Vasquez, and LuGo for Helton

Would you guys do either of these deals, one, or both??? If I did both, I would have A-Rod, Maggs, Helton, and Nevin, with Morris, Oswalt, and Wolf.....
At this point, I am leaning to doing the Helton trade but still not sure about the A-Rod one, especially with Abreu's 30/30 potential....
accohen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grenade Teeth » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:09 pm

First of all, you have a gold mine of a team for a 15 person league.

You can only keep 7 players, so you have an interesting situation, you can have trade now that you necessarily wouldn't accept in the regular season. You really don't have any interest in keeping your #8, 9 and 10 around, unless you know something about your chances of drafting them (a simple i.e., you have first pick in the draft and you can pick Nevin, but if you trade him to Jimmy, you obviously can't pick him).

Without trades I probably would keep Nomar, Ordonez, Abreu, Gonzo, Morris, Oswalt and Vasquez. But if you don't accept either of the trades, you are wasting 3 quality players, that do doubt are in the top 105 players (15 teams X 7 keepers). So, you have to go with a trade or two.

If you took only the Arod trade, you have Arod, Nevin, Ordonez, Gonzo, Morris, Oswalt, Buehrle, Vasquez and Wolf to choose from. I probably wouldn't keep Nevin and Wolf from that bunch.

If you took only the Helton trade, you have Helton, Nomar, Nevin, Ordonez, Abreu, Morris, Oswalt and Wolf. I would probably leave off Wolf.

So, here are your options (feel free to substitute for my keeper choices...

Nomar, Ordonez, Abreu, Gonzo, Morris, Oswalt, Vasquez (Nevin, Buehrle, Wolf not kept)
A Rod, Ordonez, Gonzo, Morris, Oswalt, Buehrle, Vasquez (Nevin, Wolf not kept)
Helton, Nomar, Nevin, Ordonez, Abreu, Morris, Oswalt (Wolf not kept)
A Rod, Helton, Ordonez, Nevin, Morris, Oswalt, Wolf

I would go with both trades, giving you the best SS, the best 1B, a top 5 OFer, 2 top 10 pitchers, and 2 other solid players... Just my opinion.
Grenade Teeth
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:11 am

Not much to add to Grenade teeth's excellent analysis. I'd also take those trades and run. The deal for A-Rod is close but probably worth it (even though you'll have more eggs in one basket by accepting), while the deal for Helton is a terrific upgrade. In particular, going from Vazquez to Wolf may not hurt you much if the Phillies' revamped team is able to win more games.

Looks like you're in great shape for 2003!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tallmike » Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:34 pm

The key to this is the off season keeper factor that Grenade Teeth alluded to. I'm not sure I'd make the A-Rod trade during the year but the combination means your 7 keepers are better than they were before.
tallmike

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby MikeeDee » Fri Dec 06, 2002 3:08 pm

All I can add to the above posts is that I'd personally prefer olf over vazquez right now. 2 reasons:
1. Playing for Philly with their revamped line-up.
2. Vazquez hasn't really shown what he's worth and just look at Wolf's second half numbers.
That's my 2c's
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Arlo » Fri Dec 06, 2002 6:20 pm

One relatively minor point against Vazquez is also the home-away-from-home games the Expos will play next season - that park won't be easy to pitch in...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

update...

Postby accohen » Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:28 pm

Just an update and a further question for you guys....

So, I was able to trade Mark Buerhle, Luis Gonzalez, and my 3rd round draft pick for Todd Helton.
I then traded Javier Vasquez for a 6th and 8th round pick.

The Nomar/Abreu trade never came to fruition, as over the weekend, the guy traded A-Rod for Lance Berkman and 2 early draft picks.

That leaves my potential keeper list (remember, keep 7 only for one year, and I have the 2nd pick in the draft) at...Nomar, Abreu, Maggs, Helton, Nevin, Morris, Oswalt, and Wolf.

The newest trade offer that I have had offered to me is Randy Wolf and Phil Nevin for Chipper. While I LOVE Chipper, in my league he only qualifies in the OF....unless he moves back to 3B. Before this trade was offered, I planned on protecting the first 7 and then re-picking up Wolf with the 2nd pick (assuming he wasn't picked up with the first).....but now I'm not so sure....Nevin, if he plays the OF like he is scheduled to, would have multipositional availability....opinions???
accohen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MikeeDee » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:23 pm

Forget eligibility! Even when you disregard Nevin's possible position eligibility, you'd be giving up too much. Wolf is not the difference between Nevin and Chipper. On top of that it doesn't look like Chipper will move back to 3rd. Nevin is eligible for 3rd, a position where real production is scarce and Wolf might end up being one of the 25 best pitchers (he defenitely was in the second half). Unless you can acquire someone like Guerrero, why not stay put? You've got some team there man! Glad you're not in my league. ;-)
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers