New fantasy books - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

New fantasy books

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New fantasy books

Postby DEF » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:41 am

Saw a couple new books devoted to fantasy baseball on amazon.com and was wondering if anyone here had checked them out and could give a quick review to see if they're worth the time and money to pick up.

The first appears to be a fantasy strategy type of guide called "Dominate Your Fantasy Baseball League" by David N. Sabino, who's an SI.com writer. Is this just the basics for newbies or worth reading for an experienced player?

The other one is actually a series of books by Henry Lee, who wrote a fantasy strategy guide of his own last year which was pretty interesting. This year he has a bunch of individual books of projections based on different style leagues - 5x5 mixed, 5x5 AL, 5x5 NL, 4x4 mixed, 4x4 AL and 4x4 NL. Anyone tried these out? How to they compare to the regular books (Prospectus, Forecaster, Benson, etc.) and magazines out there?

Also, anyone else know of any other fantasy books out there? I remember the hearing about a New York Times (or maybe a different major paper?) writer putting together a book last year following an experts league throughout the season. I assume it will be kind of a tongue-in-check, semi-serious look at the fantasy business in general as well as the one league, similar to the the fantasy football book that came out last fall ("Committed" I think was the name). That was a decent read and since I'm addicted to fantasy baseball even more than football, this one could be even more of a fun read. Anybody heard if that baseball book is out yet or worth checking out? Or even what it's name is so I can check amazon for it. Thanks.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:05 am

what do you think are the most serious sources for fantasy baseball info?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DEF » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:35 am

nuggets wrote:what do you think are the most serious sources for fantasy baseball info?

I try to stay open-minded to all sources of info regardless of the medium. Books, magazines, update-based web sites like rotoworld, fantasy-specific online columns, message boards like this one and general sports web sites (ESPN, SI.com, etc.) - there's good and bad info available from all of them. I like to check out as many sources as possible.

Obviously the web is the biggest source of information and by its nature is the most up-to-date source, and anyone who's stopped by a bookstore or newsstand in the past month knows there are a ton of magazines available on fantasy baseball. But actual books devoted to fantasy are relatively sparse, so seeing (and hearing about) a couple intrigued me and I was hoping some others here may have already discovered these books and could offer some thoughts on how worthwhile they were, or that others might also be interested to know of them and what to check them out for themselves. Since this is a fantasy baseball site, I thought some people here might have some info on or interest in books devoted to the subject.
"I'm telling ya, he jumped us. Gloves off, stick down, no warning. He challenged the Chiefs. Called us names. But Dave was there."

"Dave's a killer."

"Yeah, Dave's a killer."

"Dave's a mess."
DEF
College Coach
College Coach

Re: New fantasy books

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:22 am

DEF wrote:

The other one is actually a series of books by Henry Lee, who wrote a fantasy strategy guide of his own last year which was pretty interesting. This year he has a bunch of individual books of projections based on different style leagues - 5x5 mixed, 5x5 AL, 5x5 NL, 4x4 mixed, 4x4 AL and 4x4 NL. Anyone tried these out? How to they compare to the regular books (Prospectus, Forecaster, Benson, etc.) and magazines out there?

This book was alright at best. To be honest I email Henry Lee back and forth all the time. I told him that I was big fan of his book last year and that this year he has just become like everyone else. One other nice feature last year was the spreadsheet that he offered with the book.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pedrosanpedro » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:07 pm

The Baseball Prospectus - It's not exacly a roto book, but a look at each player from a sabermetric pt. of view (which I am just learning to incorporate into my draft strategy). The rundowns on each player are pretty thorough, and seemingly empirical. It's left to the reader to interpret how each players sabermetric #'s will translate roto-wise based on the lineupo he's in, batting order, scoring categories, etc.
By no neans is this my only, or even principal resource, but its given me a fresh perspective on how I see players performing. Just my 2 cents worth
pedrosanpedro
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers