Keeper league draft strategy help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeper league draft strategy help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper league draft strategy help

Postby TMB » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:13 am

New here and not really sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, so please bear with me.

Our 12-team 5-player keeper league draft starts tomorrow. It's a 5x5 with OBP instead of AVG. We start CIs and MIs with 5 OF. My keepers are:
Ichiro, Tejada, Thome, Teixeira, V.Wells. I am the only team not to keep a starting pitcher. I have the 5th pick.

I have no strategy. I have no plan. I need help badly.

I feel like I need a SP right away so I don't get left behind. Pedro was not kept, but will likely be gone by my pick. After him, there are the likes of Beckett, Colon, Burnett, Vazquez, etc.

Do I use my first on a SP because I am bare, or take someone like a M.Mora, J.Rollins, (best hitter) etc. and wait on the SP?
Should I try to target SP in the 3 of the first 5 rounds?

Any input to help me formulate a plan/strategy would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Last edited by TMB on Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMB
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:25 am

Beckett would not be a terrible pick at number 65 overall. You are loaded in the OF and at 1b, so those are psoitions I probably would bypass in the draft's first few rounds initially unless someone clearly better than the rest was still on the board.

That said, I would suggest you go best player avail for 4 or 5 rounds while trying to acquire a SP or 2. Beckett in the 6th and Moose in the 10th would not be a bad combo and fill in the other 2 or 3 slots with the best possible hitters around that you can start. If Burnett slips to the 10th then by all means. Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that you may need to deal for what you need later and it is better to acquire the best talent within reason early.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:29 am

Go with Burnett for pitching and then next round if he's still there Beckett, both will do good this year and years to come...you shouldf be fine with your hitters and don't need Mora or Rollins...good luck ;-D
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roadrunner » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:21 am

i agree with the yanks, get best player available for a few rounds, plenty of time to get pitching, there will be so many suprises and disappointments in pitchers this year as is always the case.
it should be easier to trade away extra hitting for 2nd tier pitchers
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TMB » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:52 pm

Thanks guys. The draft is about to start. Any last minute tips?

Cross your fingers... :-B
TMB
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers